Drift Days

Woppum

Not all of us want to be in Too Fast, Too Furious! tongue.gif

Are you going to do that in the CSL? Ferkin' quick way to destroy your Cups and the clutch! Seriously though, take it easy as it's very hard on a car. Last trackday I did, there was an almost new 350Z drifting around the circuit for most of the morning, suffice to say it had to be towed out of the circuit, far enough up the road for the Nissan recovery people to come and get it. crazy.gif

I will do it in the CSL on PS2's and my brother will do it in his RX8. Not bothered really about what it does to the tyres. Just want to get a good grounding in what happens when the back comes out. It is something I really want to have a play at and this looks like the perfect course. As we live in london, we will have to stay in a hotel the night before, then go to the meet at 7.30am. I look forard to it. If anyone has the balls to do it then come along, it would be nice to meet you!

Drifting isn't really the same as what you'll do if the back comes out surely?

It teaches you to prolong the slide rather than correct it quickly. Fine on track trying to produce big smoke trails, less useful on the road when you don't have a lot of room.

Couple hours on a skid pan sounds like it would be more beneficial.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm quite tempted to go on that but I think I need some basic track work first. Problem is, the novice days have up to 30 cars and that sounds like a lottery

[/ QUOTE ]

Novice days should be fine. I've done a few in the past and whilst the number of cars can look scary when they're all parked up, there's rarely (if ever) all of the cars on track at the same time. If you're concerned, do a novice day somwhere with a long track (e.g. Bedford GT) as you'll rarely encounter anything on a lap.

For some good value trackdays, you can join Lotus-on-Track as although it's primarily aimed at Lotii, they're happy to have other two door cars there as well. We've had 911 GT3's, F430 Spyders, 350Z's, M3's and all sorts out there before. It's more about the attitude, than the car. 169144-ok.gif

So have booked the day for me and my brother, booked a local hotel. Then got a call saying if the insurance company find out i have been on a track they may void my insurance! Whats the case with this. I thought the insurance was just for the road, on a track is sort of nomans land??

Wopps they are probably covering themselves. Alot of people on trackdays cover up their plates or take them off so they cannot be seen. Keeps the fact that they have been ragging their motor quiet from everyone. You never know who might be there taking a few pics and then post them on the net for everyone to see. From your insurance point of you, if you've been racing the car around a track you're wearing out your car at a lot faster rate which could lead to a premature malfuntion of a component. In other words, it gives them a get out. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

but insurance dosent cover wear and tear. its all about me crashing or hitting another party. I dont see why i cant accept full liability...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its mostly if you had an accident caused by a mechanical failure, eg. if the engine seized, locking the rear wheels, sending you into a spin, that kind of thing.

[ QUOTE ]

Are you going to do that in the CSL? Ferkin' quick way to destroy your Cups and the clutch! Seriously though, take it easy as it's very hard on a car. Last trackday I did, there was an almost new 350Z drifting around the circuit for most of the morning, suffice to say it had to be towed out of the circuit, far enough up the road for the Nissan recovery people to come and get it. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you haven't been to the Oulton Park events.

He will get virtually NO tyre wear, as the surface is a highly polished 'glass' surface which offers next to no grip. Even if it's dry it offers less grip than a wet road.

In the CSL he will do the entire circuit in 2nd gear.

Not hard on the car at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Well you all missed out on a wicked day! To be honest I prefure fast track driving, but certainly enjoyed it a massive amount. Was really a CSL day, must have been 6-7 all great guys from BM3W. Will be doing it again.

Sadly my little bros RX8 fell apart after just a couple of laps. Waited 6 hours for a tow truck back to London. £400!

[ QUOTE ]

Im away for 3 weeks over xmas. In that time it will be having the wheels poweder coated in GT3 RS high gloss black; geting all those pesky panels either put back on or replaced and of course having a full early service! Feck I lover him to bits! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif What happened?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Im away for 3 weeks over xmas. In that time it will be having the wheels powder coated in GT3 RS high gloss black; geting all those pesky panels either put back on or replaced and of course having a full early service! Feck I lover him to bits! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif What happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Long story whcih starts with my little brother and his RX8.

Before I go in to it I have to warn all of you NEVER to buy an RX8.

The story starts on the way up to Manchester. The CSL managed 23mpg, the RX8 managed 17mpg. This is cruising on the motorway!

Then after 1 30 second lap of the track an engine light came on the dash. We boh said feck it, probably just electrical and needs resetting. After another lap I saw his car perched on the side of the track with marshals crowding around him. The car was knackered and so was the drive shaft.

I had to share my car with him after that. In fact I stupidly let him have a go while I was in with an expert drifter. He was in front and I saw him waltz off the track spinning about 3 times, rocks and mud flying in to the air. He didnt hit anything, but you really push quite big G's when spinning fast and the largeish rocks in the mud smack against the wheels at big speeds. The damage is purely cosmetic, and the skirts bumpers etc just need to be clipped back on. I did most of it myself, but the last couple of clips I gave up on (my little hands were too cold!). As said the car is going in to lepsons at xmas to get the wheels and paint redone then it will be back to new ready for road and track next year.

beerchug.gif