Bedford 9/12

Woppum

Anyone done this day before?

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/trackdays/event-details.asp?ProductID=3648

How many people are on the track at once?

Is there a risk of fecking the car or hitting another driver or do you not get close?

What the regs taken to prevent these type of encounters?

Im not sure if I can do it anyways as is my little bros birthday that day. Anyone planning on going or have any pointers on the above would be useful.

thanks,

Wopps - I assume that it open pitlane. Bedford is huge. For the majority of it, you'll need to get it horrendously wrong to do any damage as the run offs are so big.

If it is open pitlane, then they will allow as many cars as they deem safe (I think). A lot of people head out straight away, so you'd probably be better of waiting 15 minutes or so at the start and after lunch.

It's a bit soulless but a good place to learn 169144-ok.gif

BTW - it's fully booked! grin.gif

When I got my S4 I already had booked a trip to the 'ring. I didn't want to turn up there without knowing what the car did past it's normal limits....so I did an evening session as Bedford.

It's about the safest track* in the country. After all if they let corporate punters out in Formula Palmer Audi's on there own then you know it's gotta be fairly safe.

I'd say your only risk is someone going into you but there'll be so little traffic it's probably less risky than driving to work.

[ QUOTE ]

When I got my S4 I already had booked a trip to the 'ring. I didn't want to turn up there without knowing what the car did past it's normal limits....so I did an evening session as Bedford.

It's about the safest track* in the country. After all if they let corporate punters out in Formula Palmer Audi's on there own then you know it's gotta be fairly safe.

I'd say your only risk is someone going into you but there'll be so little traffic it's probably less risky than driving to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Im going to call them tomorrow and see if they can fit me in. 169144-ok.gif

ooops just remembered that I put the * after "track" in my post as it's got a weird classification. My insurer will cover me on all recognised tracks (exluding Castle Combe coz everyone bins it there!) but they don't recognise Bedford as a track due to it not being certified for racing (or something like that)

p.s. Here's some of the fun we had on that day. It's 5 mins long and not all exciting but it'll give you an idea of runs offs and the layout etc :

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doci...h&plindex=9

p.s. It's also before I learnt how to hold a steering wheel! blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

ooops just remember that I put the * after "track" in my post as it's got a weird classification. My insurer will cover me on all recognised tracks (exluding Castle Combe coz everyone bins it there!) but they don't recognise Bedford as a track due to it not being certified for racing (or something like that)

p.s. Here's some of the fun we had on that day. It's 5 mins long and not all exciting but it'll give you an idea of runs offs and the layout etc :

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doci...h&plindex=9

p.s. It's also before I learnt how to hold a steering wheel! blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry mate, link dosent work.

What insurer do you use?

I'm not suggesting you don't bother as it's 100% a personal decision (that's the disclaimer out of the way!!) but if there was a track to do without insurance then it's this one.

You saw me run very wide on one bend and it just shows how much there is to play with there. On that day we had the advantage where there was only about 12 of us there and we all knew each other.

Some tracks I do and some I don't. Foolish or economic. Not sure yet! crazy.gif

I was there for a very very wet trackday yesterday.

I reckon there were 60 cars yesterday in open pitlane style. Probably 30 - 40 cars out on track at any one time but in reality you're never waiting to get out on track. It's 4.2 miles long (GT circuit anyway) and you can go for laps at a time without getting close to other cars and if you do, there is plenty of overtaking so you are rarely held up for more than a corner or two.

There were lots of big spins but no red flags or stoppages (unlike Rockingham a couple of weeks before). Loads of run off round the track, apart from a couple of corners and nobody damaged their cars or themselves. Without being on some coned off "circuit" on an airfield, I'm pretty sure you can't get safer than Bedford.

Morning session got progressively worse as more and more standing water built up. Unfortunately, most of this seemed to be sat right in the middle of the line or right in the braking zone, so made life a little interesting. I called it a day at lunchtime as the R888's just couldn't cut through the deeper water and the VX was so misted up I couldn't see a fecking thing at one point (the heater is a bit of a misnomer in the VX without some mods). Was still a great day though but definitely need to go over to TMS and pick up a spare set of wheels with some wet weather capable tyres for future use.

Eclectic mix of cars for a Lotus day. 70's 911, 80's 911 turbo, Ferrari 455, JDM Civic type R, E30 M3 Evo, TVR's, A3 S-Line quattro (making the most of quattro by straightening the chicanes) and a B7 A4 quattro S-Line with slightly suspect RS badges!! Steve Guglielmi was there in his Audi engined Elise which was just absolutley nuts until it was black flagged for noise (I think).

If you do venture up there next week, Wopps, I'll try and pop in at some point to see how you're getting on.

You might want to try Heritage Insurance. I've just moved the VX over to them and they cover all the mods and as a member of Lotus on Track, all my L-o-T trackdays are free and all others are £25 per event (with £1000 excess) for £400 per year. Not sure whether they'll recognise some form of M3/CSL club and give you insurance, or not, but worth a try. 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for all the above mate. Will try Hartage for sure.

I have phoned MSV regarding Sat, apparently they have confirmed 100 participants already and have a waiting list of 7 (strange I thought for this time of year) - they told me there is not much chance of me getting on...

With that in mind and the fact im out the country for 3 wks from 17/12 it looks like it will be the new year that the trackdays commence. Will make a phone call after the wk end to book in for the nxt Bedford. Will let you know 169144-ok.gif

Just as well you trackdays starting in the new year as you really need to set aside some time for driver upgrade tuition.

Make your first foray Wopps into the world of trackday tuition, reign in your enthusiasum for getting out there and mixing it and get a days tuition under your belt.

There are some good racing drivers out there that provide tuition not only from a technique perspective but also from a mental one (how you 'approach the' technique) - not as daft as it sounds.

So, for once - listen to an old bloke tongue.gif, go out and spend about £500ish on a full days tuition and approach your trackdays in a different and more sensible way, you will enjoy the days so much more 'knowing how to drive'.

Lecture over SLEEP5.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Just as well you trackdays starting in the new year as you really need to set aside some time for driver upgrade tuition.

Make your first foray Wopps into the world of trackday tuition, reign in your enthusiasum for getting out there and mixing it and get a days tuition under your belt.

There are some good racing drivers out there that provide tuition not only from a technique perspective but also from a mental one (how you 'approach the' technique) - not as daft as it sounds.

So, for once - listen to an old bloke tongue.gif, go out and spend about £500ish on a full days tuition and approach your trackdays in a different and more sensible way, you will enjoy the days so much more 'knowing how to drive'.

Lecture over SLEEP5.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I want to do. You know of a good course, with great tuition and lots of time on track? I did the Prodrive day which was like that and very good. Is good I believe to do in my own car so I can really get to know its capabilities. One day wasnt enough and may be a good idea to experiance tuition on other tracks. Any ideas? 169144-ok.gif

Yeah the Walshy days are great about a cars handling at the limits, if a little focussed on a few specific aspects. The Walshy day really is geared up to teach you to corner (and as part of that to control a spin). It's quite hard on the car as North Weald doesn't have the worlds greatest surface. I broke two engine mounts there.

If you want the ultimate course, the Don Palmer and Mark Hales run a class based at Anglesey. It's called the masterclass and is spread over two days. Not cheap at £1500 but is meant to be very good and will leave you with skills that you can apply at any track. I've done two of his other courses based at Bruntigthorpe and these were excellent.

Another one with a very good reputation is Ben Collins (who may or may not be the Stig) and I'm just trying to sort out a date with him for a days track tuition early next year. But I'm fecked if I can find the link to his site at the moment....