Are E92 M3 prices collapsing?

Merlot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Might have forgotten to say its VAT qualifying?

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't affect the price!

It's something to do with that VAT has already been claimed against that car so you can't do it again - presumably if you are buying it through your company and then won't be able to claim the VAT back again - so private purchases aren't affected.

And yes, they do seem to be dropping, not a great climate for buying expensive cars with the credit markets and silly fuel prices. All we need now is insurance to go through the roof and that will be it!

The market is flooded with high performance vehicle's and demand seems to have not just fallen but collapsed!

For the for first time the M3 has serious competiton from the RS4 and the new C63, which would be my choice.

The other problem is the price of fuel , not enough people IMO are prepaired to pay £60 and only cover 200 miles which i would imagine is the reality of driving these big V8's. Add the fact that i would say that you're looking at a £15000 min depreciation on these vehicle's after running them for a year.

Has anyone seen how many 430's are for sale ? Even the RS's on PH don't move!

Next year it will only get harder too.

[ QUOTE ]

The market is flooded with high performance vehicle's and demand seems to have not just fallen but collapsed!

For the for first time the M3 has serious competiton from the RS4 and the new C63, which would be my choice.

The other problem is the price of fuel , not enough people IMO are prepaired to pay £60 and only cover 200 miles which i would imagine is the reality of driving these big V8's. Add the fact that i would say that you're looking at a £15000 min depreciation on these vehicle's after running them for a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree with all you said. Had major trouble trying to shift my 12 month old Golf R32. First thought it was the time of year, but now i am thinking there is a big change coming. Is this the begining of the end?

[ QUOTE ]

Is this the begining of the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep!! frown.gif

I am not interested in these cars that do 15-20mpg any more, I can buy another house by the coast for the same price it would cost to run an RS4, M3, E63 etc. and that makes you think.

You can buy a really nice E46 M3 and enjoy it just as much when you want to have fun for £15k and a nice 320d sport for day to day which does just as good a job and sees 45mpg all day long. Would still cost you less and you don't get bored of the fun car as you are not in it every day.

I paid £70 at the pumps for a V Power fill up on the LCR on Tuesday night. Frightening. Makes the cost of driving anywhere really hit home.

Interesting comment about the M3. Maybe it was too much money in the first place. I certainly looked towards the M3 stable for my next car but at £60k for a good spec I'm not sure I would any more.

The saloon is priced at £49k, big difference in seeing the list under and over £50k, but yeah it was too high.

Problem with these cars for me is....if I want a fast comfortable car the 335d will do everything you need with 38mpg and plenty quick enough, or a 335i if you want petrol and that will still return 28mpg.

The M3 will return 18mpg costs £15-20k more and goes over teh 225g/km threshold.

At that price it is still a motorway mile muncher though, yeah it is more raw than any non M version, but at a great expense, you can do 20k miles a year in a 6 month old 335d and it will cost you £800 all in, do the same in an M3 and it will cost you £1500 all in.

A year old 997S would cost you what? A grand all in??

Unless you need the extra room and have to have an M badge I just think these cars with their ridiculous running costs have had their day, they are not special enough for the prices they command IMHO.

I had over 400 out of the Turbo (once!) at steady but swift Mway speeds.

I do so few miles that fuel costs are more annoying than anything else so it is not too drastic for me. Hence why I've bought the E46 M3 - and Gizze is right, they are great cars and mine is 50% of the price of a new M3 but is basically a new car with only 13k on the clock.

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree with all you said. Had major trouble trying to shift my 12 month old Golf R32. First thought it was the time of year, but now i am thinking there is a big change coming. Is this the begining of the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

The R32 has beeen the exception to the rule but now people are asking why they should be paying £400 a year car tax for a Golf when the S3 does much the same for £215, drinks less fuel and is actually a bit quicker.

The next one to watch will be the RS4.

[ QUOTE ]

I am so glad that I got out of my E92 M3 so quickly. I dropped a few £k but the car was not special and prices have obviously fallen a lot in hte five/six weeks since I passed mine on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ditched the brand new M3 after a matter of weeks you would have been looking down the barrel of a loss equal to the VAT on the car. That is unless you paid too much for the 535d M Sport you chopped it back against.... SMOKE6.GIF

No probs. RS4 has held up very well but if big petrol jobbies are falling fast then this may be an issue esp with the B8 coming out in Feb (I know not in RS4 form but a new car always hits all the versions of an old car).

To my mind if R32 is suffering then RS4 will too.

[ QUOTE ]

No probs. RS4 has held up very well but if big petrol jobbies are falling fast then this may be an issue esp with the B8 coming out in Feb (I know not in RS4 form but a new car always hits all the versions of an old car).

To my mind if R32 is suffering then RS4 will too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The RS4 has held up well and if anything got stronger since the launch of a certain M3 Coupe wink.gif

I still don't see prices of cars like the RS4 collapsing and this thread has taken a bit strong turn into "doom and gloom, the end of world is coming" Flush.gif

The biggest issue for the Golf R32 is the Golf GTI 2.0t Fsi. Bottom line it's a much better car and the R32 just doesn't make any rational sense when put next to it.