whats a prestige car salesman's pay and reward

gb110430

I work in the financial services industry and regulation is tight and rightly so and I have to disclose how we are paid.

The car industry is obviously different but I wonder why we don't get told how much commission they make or how their pay is worked out.

firstly its of interest to me how a typical BMW, Audi, VW < merc salesman is paid. I assume its a basic , but how much money can you get paid on top for each car sold?? what are typical salaries???

I wouldnt mind moving into car sales as I work in sales already and it cant get tougher than the industry i work in now!

cheers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've sort of answered your own question when you say you wonder why you're not told what the salesman's commission is. In your industry you are forced to disclose that, in most others you aren't and I don't think you can really expect people to openly talk about that if they don't have to.

[ QUOTE ]

oh thats fine... but what is their salary and package like????

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure to be honest. But, from what I do know it varies from terrible to pretty good - I suppose that's like a lot of sales type positions? Maybe the fact that unlike in your current industry, you don't need to be professionally qualified to sell cars won't help to command great basic salaries? I know it's possible to make very good money from the commission, but the basic can be poor.

I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about will be along to give some better info. 169144-ok.gif

Edited to add: I just did a quick Google search for 'prestige car sales OTE' and the results that came up indicated a basic of £10-15k with OTEs of anywhere between £25k and £75k.

No idea about the UK, but BMW salesmen in New Jersey make $100,000 in a decent year.... average is probably about $80k.

Comissions and Sales Bonuses, but you have to work nights and weekends.

Oh and you usually have a 'demo' vehicle to take home.

One thing I do know is that a car salesperson's salary doesn't necessarily correlate with the price/prestige of the cars they sell. You could quite feasibly earn more selling Vauxhalls than you would Audis.

Realistically you're looking at OTE of £20k after your first couple of years or so, up to £30-35k for Sales Manager. That's mostly guesswork and hints from friends in the trade and would be for an average size dealership in the North West.

That doesn't sound too awful until you remember it's invariably 9-10 hours a day 6 days a week, including Saturday or Sunday most weekends.

[ QUOTE ]

Approximately 14 years ago I went for an interview at a Peugeot garage for a job as a sales exec. The basic salary was £5k!! Needless to say I took it no further. Can't remember what the commission was - something like 3-4 times the basic if wortking to target.

I suspect the prestige sales guys are on reasonable basics though.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good mate of mine runs a Pug garage, he once told me his top salesman gets £15k basic, and has earned £40k in a good year. But.... he has to sell Peugeots..... Flush.gif

I guess its down to how much mark up there are on the cars concerned and how difficult they are to sell.

One things for sure, the service department and sales people at my local BMW dealer ship are the biggest pricks i have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Its basically but me off buying another BM for the foreseable future.

Hey guys!

Dealers are 90% the problem with new cars! VW seem to be the snobbiest i have been to, the Abridge near Loughton in Essex should be avoided like the plague! The Mini dealer across the road is also crapola and you can wait a million for a test drive, but you will have 2 million yrs to book one!

Geoff

[ QUOTE ]

I work in the financial services industry and regulation is tight and rightly so and I have to disclose how we are paid.

The car industry is obviously different but I wonder why we don't get told how much commission they make or how their pay is worked out.

firstly its of interest to me how a typical BMW, Audi, VW < merc salesman is paid. I assume its a basic , but how much money can you get paid on top for each car sold?? what are typical salaries???

I wouldnt mind moving into car sales as I work in sales already and it cant get tougher than the industry i work in now!

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't get into the industry. You know too much about the cars you would be selling.

Mate of mine is in car sales. I think his basic is about £12K and has been as low as £8K, but they obviously earn a lot more in commission.

I think he reckons he's on £30K+ plus a car of course, but I can't help thinking there might be a little "optimism" built in there...

He's a mainstream make and reckons he'd earn less selling presitge like BMW or even Aston Martin etc. Personally that makes no sense to me as I'd expect the likes of BMW upwards to pay a little extra to attract the cream as it were. I'd think you'd need to be a little more switched on to deal with an Aston Martin customer than you would to deal with Citreon fodder for example.

[ QUOTE ]

Hmm i thought they got more than mentioned above. 20k basic isint worth getting out of bed for!

[/ QUOTE ]

As above, it is'nt about basic, it's about total earnings with commission.

To give an extreme example I'd be happy with £2K basic if my commission topped £100K a year. All that matters is what you earn (provided it's reliable), not how it's structured.

[ QUOTE ]

I think that people would be pretty surprised with the actual amount of commission per unit that a prestige brand sales executive gets....

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's only relevent when combined with units sold. No good earning twice as much commission if you only sell 2 cars a month instead of 20.

It's what you can sensibly and reliably earn per year that matters.

[ QUOTE ]

To give an extreme example I'd be happy with £2K basic if my commission topped £100K a year. All that matters is what you earn (provided it's reliable), not how it's structured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite. I, for example, am self employed. Which means my basic is, err, £0k per year. But I still manage to get out of bed (just SLEEP5.GIF) because the "commission" is, well, let's just say it's enough to run the 535 and the 911 grin.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite. I, for example, am self employed. Which means my basic is, err, £0k per year. But I still manage to get out of bed (just SLEEP5.GIF) because the "commission" is, well, let's just say it's enough to run the 535 and the 911 grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to pay me more than 100k to sell cars Flush.gif

It'd be mind numbing! 100k in this day an age with expensive mortagages, kids etc just doesnt get you the nicer things in life

[ QUOTE ]

I think that people would be pretty surprised with the actual amount of commission per unit that a prestige brand sales executive gets....

[/ QUOTE ]

Friend of mine works in a BMW dealership, not sure what her basic salary is but during a drunken night out she told me the bonuses for cars.....which ranged from about £200 - £500...

@ Alastair - pull your head out of your arse, not everyone has the pleasure of earning what you obviously do..... ROLLEY~14.GIF