X3 3.0D M Sport - advice on spec etc

davyk31

Yes in the mess of all the other stuff they gave me a price but I had enquired last night with another dealer who i have sold cars to in the past and he offered me £800 more. Think that kinda messed the deal with the X3 as they wanted my GTI in cheap to make a fortune on it and help recoup their costs on the X3. They kept moaning on about me not trading in so I told them the GTI is theirs if they match the other guys price, which they haven't. Have agreed now to buy the X3 from them with a BMW service after a huge argument and sell the GTI to another dealer. Cant believe their attitude really, they admitted the car has been in a little while and they have reduced it to move it so I would have thought they would have treated anyone interested in it like a King and would not let me go. My dealings were slightly complicated by the fact the car was brought from one branch of the dealership to a closer one for me to look at and therefore the people I was dealing with were willing to just loose the sale and send it back to the other branch. Not much of a company attitude and my point was that if the other branch traded it in too expensive or damaged the wheels themselves then they should be taking the hit and certainly it was not down to me to pay for someone elses problem.

Totally had enough but it sounds like everything is in order now. Not sure what kind of welcome I will get when I go to collect the car which will hopefully be the weekend.

[ QUOTE ]

My GTI is a Feb 2006 reflex silver 5 door with leather, heated seats and 18" wheels. I have also recently fitted rear parking sensors. Totally immaculate with only 7,900 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what have you been bid?

Shame you weren't after a non-M Sport as we could have done a deal to suit both of us!

[ QUOTE ]

No Gareth its a large used car outlet attached to a main dealer group who have multiple car francises. Part of the Lookers Group. Why do you ask Gareth?

Car is also due a service which I am insisting will be carried out by the local BMW dealer rather than the selling garage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reason I asked is that with any major franchised dealer you wouldn't get any of this hassle. If the car being sold needs a service/tyres or wheels refurbishing they are all done with the minimum of fuss.

Jut makes it another good reason to get good service from a decent dealer and not just the *cheapest*

Just my 2p's worth beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yep Bens does sound nice but not an M Sport which is what I am after.

Been offered 15k for my GTI from trade, not really enough but thats the norm I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair that part ex price is spot for your car...

Glasses guide has it as £14,375 for a 06/55 with 25k miles-so your lower mileage helps there.

GTI has gone to the trade guy who offered the best, could have tried a private ad but could not really be bothered with the hassle and not sure I would have done a whole lot better. Just need to find out now when the X3 is ready, they talked about Friday or Saturday but they might just put it on a go slow because of the hassle they think I caused. Not sure the penny has dropped with them yet that I changed nothing in the deal but it was them who kept changing the price and then saying service was or wasn't to be with the main dealer.

You are right in a way Gareth, a main dealer should not mess around so much but I have bought from many small independents who have been excellent also.

Already told them I am not interested in their finance offerings and it will be the same answer whaen they try to sell me Gap insurance for probably £400 - £500. Will tell them I can buy the same for £150 or so and give them the chance to match it.

Leman could you tell me the tyre sizes on your car, just want to ensure they fit the exact size. Are the rears wider than the fronts?

Both are 19"s on my car mate, not sure whether the fronts are wider than the back (it's normally the case) It will say on the tyre wall anyway, something like 235/55/R19 or thereabouts. The first figure is the width, second is the depth, third is the inside diameter (i think!)

With regards BHP, i think it's around 215, but to be honest BHP means jack with diesel, it's all torque - and you've got plenty of that...around 500nm's IIRC!!!

Got the tyre sizes off the car yesterday as they haven't changed the tyres yet. Think because I gave them grief they are now on a go slow......very professional approach!!! The car was to ready Fri or Sat and they were to ring me on Thursday to confirm. No call on Thurs so I rang them, both people I had been dealing with on holidays and no-one knew anything. Told them to contact the guy at home and get him to call me which he did with excuses about tyres not in stock etc. Told him I had no car so he said he would lend me one til the start of next week. Went to collect the gorgeous Mitsubishi Colt yesterday and was less than impressed to see that nothing has been done to my car. At the very least I expected they would have the wheels refurbed, but no. This place is part of one of the largest motor groups in the UK but are acting like Arthur Daley.

Yes the fact that its not a 5 grand car I am buying seems to escape them. I have already spoken to the sales manager who is the head of that particular dealership but might speak to someone a bit higher in their head office if things do not get sorted soon.

The only thing that I kept me interested in the car is that once the wheels are sorted its an immaculate car and at a very good price I think for such a high spec car. Another local dealer has a 2.0 D M Sport for about £2,500 less but it has a smaller engine, no leather, no auto, no satnav, no TV, smaller wheels etc.

Hopefully getting the car tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Will be nice to actually get it home after all this hassle.

Worth my time trying to check on tyre sizes....I mentioned to them on the phone on Tuesday to ensure the front and rear new tyres are not all the same size as the rears should be wider. He sounded quite uncertain and said his tyre supplier had been given the car to check. I asked him to make doubly sure that they hadn't just looked and one tyre and bought 4 the same. Phonecall yesterday....guess what, 4 tyres for the size of the rear ordered so they are sorting it today.....

Its been a long weary road..........hope its all worth it when I get the car and it better have a full tank of diesel to go some way towards my hassle and the fact the car is now a week late, not to mention the insult of the Mitsubishi Colt 1.2 they have loaned me until the X3 is ready. Whether the Colt is petrol, diesel or electric is rather hard to tell from the noises it makes.

Got the car at last on Friday afternoon......... brilliant it is. Do not know what all the complaints about the Sports suspension are about, it is firm for sure but excellent. Love the silver grey colour. Still playing with the Sat Nav and all the toys - my 3 year old daughter now needs the sat nav to guide us everywhere we are going, even on routes I could drive with my eyes closed. She is also copying all the phrases the satnav uses so will soon be talking about "arriving at the destination" etc. laugh.gif