What Next?

Cleybrooke

I'm in exactly the same situation. I've had my Mk5 for 2 years and have covered 40,000miles. Fault free and enjoyed every mile!! laugh.gif

Time for a change.

Tried a 120d M Sport.....too small

Tried an S3.....too expensive and no more enjoyable than the Golf and it really is starting to look old now.

Tried a 123d Coupe......way too expensive. From the rear it looks awesome - but it's the front!!! U-G-LY. blush.gif

TT - too impractical.

3 series - not for me.

Even looked at a Caymen but I just didn't want all the unnecessary attention I'm sure it'll attract.

So....I've just picked up my Ed30!! Xenons, Sunroof, Ipod Armrest, M/F Wheel, cruise, Lux pack & Beepers. Brilliant, love it it's got that top end bite the 200hp engine lacked.

It's a great all round car - quick, great handling, practical as you can fill it full of rubbish and go to the tip, fill it with 4 adults and go on holiday, put the back seats down and load it full of bikes and climbing gear!!

It's a tough act to follow in my opinion.

I'm happy again.

cool.gif

I'm not quite ready for a change - late this year early next maybe.

Have started to give it some thought though.

First and foremost I need 4 doors (elderly mother)- so I'm sedan based. We only have the one car as we work from home so there is little room to compromise. Wife needs to be able to drive the same car, though she does so infrequently.

To replace the GTI I would currently consider:

BMW 330/335 - obviously a great car but everyone seems to have one, a BMW that is. Don't really want to be part of the mass of BMW drivers. There is also a limited to the $and at 105 plus options it is hitting the limit.

Audi A4 - the new one. Looking I guess at a TFSI or 3.2ltr. The issue I have with Audi's having owned two of them is that they ride very roughly on our roads.

C Class Merc - just won Car of the Year Here. A C320 maybe. I don't really see myself as a Merc driver. It still a car I think my dad should own.

Japanese - I basically don't like Japanese cars- and wouldn't consider one. Call it snob value if you like.

Alfa 159 - I love the look of the 159, but I've owned Alfa's in the past (enough said) and the car isn't that quick.

The local Holdens and Fords are way too big for my needs.

Which kind of leaves me wondering about the Passat R36. It's released here in October. The spec reads well, I think it looks pretty good, and it promises to be quick.

The other option is to see what VW do with the MkVI GTI R32.

Just as well I'm in no hurry.

Hi Red,

I've been on and off the site a bit over the past few months - but not much in the way of posts. I've been flat out.

I've just done 34,000km so what's that about 20,000 miles for so. Yes, I still love my GTI, no need to change but my typical turnover of cars is about 3 years. That date is fast approaching - June 2008 for the GTI.

As I said in the last post there's nothing really that does it for me at the moment, though I am a bit interested in the Passat R36, so will at least have a test drive of that in Sep/Oct when they are launched here.

Otherwise could be with the GTI for sometime yet - and that's no bad thing!