[Audi A3/S3] S3 Sportback pics

mark88

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Golf GTi and R32 both look great as a five door. Personally I've always prefered the A3 as a Sportback as opposed to the three door so the addition is welcome. If they offer both then people will choose. There is no brand or sub-brand dilution as far as I see it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just about to order an R32 in 5 door form to replace my MK2 TTR as we are having a baby. I did not realise that there was going to be a Sportback S3 so I have just put my deposit down. I have been told I should have it by September.

Anyone have an idea on price - have been looking for a small, fast estate, and this could fit the bill a lot better than S4 ?

The sportback is a LOT smaller than the A4 estate. Yes, I know the boot in the A4 isn't exactly massive, but, even though the A3 looks big on the outside due to some clever visual engineering, inside, they're no bigger than a Golf. Physical dimensions may be a bit bigger, but they feel more cramped than the Golf, mainly because of the higher shoulder.

But the difference in mpg will be fairly big. Expect 20-22 long term average out of an S4 - you should get 26-30 out of an S3.

The sportback is a LOT smaller than the A4 estate. Yes, I know the boot in the A4 isn't exactly massive, but, even though the A3 looks big on the outside due to some clever visual engineering, inside, they're no bigger than a Golf. Physical dimensions may be a bit bigger, but they feel more cramped than the Golf, mainly because of the higher shoulder.

But the difference in mpg will be fairly big. Expect 20-22 long term average out of an S4 - you should get 26-30 out of an S3.

Thanks Mook & others

I have a MkIV R32 and whilst it is fine most of the time I find I am folding the seats down a lot & would like the convenience of more carrying capacity.

I have checked the luggage capacity & indeed you are correct - the Quattro Sportback has 302 litres capacity vs the 305 litres of the (non-quattro) 3 door so its back to the drawing board for me...

They have details of the new S3 and Sportback on Audi uk now. I am just waiting to spec mine but at the moment I am thinking Ice Silver, darkened windows, arm rest, int light pack, hill hold, tyre warning, bluetooth in armrest (any good and is this controlled via wheel and DIS?) Ipod connection, Bose and flat bottom wheel.

Anything else I should be considering? I definately have discounted the DVD nav as I never use it but was considering the sky roof.

• 3 weeks later...

I am off to the local dealer tomorrow for a full run down on the S3 Sportback - to be honest I was going to get an A6 (only thing I wanted was a 5 door car) BUT found out about the Sportback S3 guise so its started me looking at pushing out the monthlies a bit more.

I think I was told mag ride was standard and the car was going to be £500 more then the current 3dr S3.

I would be looking for-

Imola Yellow with Black leather Alcantara combo

Flat Tyre Warning (very cheap on this!)

Interior Light Pack

3 Spoke M/F Sterring wheel

Cruise Control (for those specs zones on the motorways)

Light & Rain Pack

Bose

Ipod Connection

I would be after mag ride and S-Tronic also which will lift this to ver £30k I guess? Whats the S3 ride like now? Harsh?

That pretty lot comes to £28875 I am not sure what sort of price shaving I will get off that (I have already discussed this and there is something to be had he said).

WHat sort of colours are you guys considering - I was thinking of Orange as well as that would certainly go well with my Speed Yellow Cayman! Probably annoy the f**k out of the neighbours but I dont care!

Tone

I like the yellow and the orange. I have MR on my TT and it is outstanding.....in fact its acutally better than that as it creates an Audi that rides soft and handles. The flat tyre thing is cheap but do some research and don't rely on it as the system is very basic and you will probably have picked up on the probem yourself first. Finally, don't take any crap and shop around - 8% off an S3 is a runner. That said its like all these things, I have a mate who's just got 6% off a TT diesel when a lot of dealers are doing nothing.

I like the yellow and the orange. I have MR on my TT and it is outstanding.....in fact its acutally better than that as it creates an Audi that rides soft and handles. The flat tyre thing is cheap but do some research and don't rely on it as the system is very basic and you will probably have picked up on the probem yourself first. Finally, don't take any crap and shop around - 8% off an S3 is a runner. That said its like all these things, I have a mate who's just got 6% off a TT diesel when a lot of dealers are doing nothing.

So I went along yesterday and had a chat and a run out in an S3 and all I can say is WOW. The turbo makes such a huge difference (I know I am stating the obvious a bit here!).

I started out with a slow and stead pace and as soon as I was able to clear some roadworks - opened the car up and it flew away! Even with all the rain it felt so bloody good and it shows how good the quattro system is!

MPG is not all that bad when you have all that power on tap - I cannot imagine how good a remap would make this car...

The only problem was though the price - £27720 is the basic price but you get Front Arm Rest as standard now and heated seats and a couple of other useful extras (xennon and LED running lights) on the sportback.

I added about 2k's worth of options and then found out no discount. I pushed and was told there was limited allocation of these S3 Sportbacks - delivery would be around Nov but no discount.

So the question is - are there any discounts to be had because I was led to believe I may be able to obtain one. So any of you chaps that have an order in I would certainly like to hear from you if thats ok?

As this is a bit far out at the moment I think I will revert to my original plan of a cheap new A6 on contract hire! I got a quote for £1400 dep and then £400+vat per month for a 2 year 20k miles per year deal on a new A6 Limited Edition with Auto and few essential bits but it already has leather and DVD sat nav and 18" bling wheels!

Cheers

Tone

I got a discount on a stock S3 when I asked and it came very quickly. I think you can get a discount, they aren't exactly flying out of the showroom at the moment with the credit crunch and overall caution.

You could wait and see what they have in stock closer to the time and then do a deal ? +++

I have a deposit on one and have not yet been able to spec it. Tone have you seen the official prices and specs?

Yeah I saw some stuff at the dealer yesterday - although Audi marketing have done a sh!t job of supplying the dealers of collateral to give prospective punters. There is nothing!

Essentially I saw a number of standard features as mentioned above I also remember seeing and I do mean seeing that the S3 would not be speccable with a 6 Speed MANUAL gearbox! It would be S-tronic only - I suggested that Audi should be reconsidering that - but check it out!

All the chap had was a PDF that showed all the latest updates for the A3 range. You can get S-Tronic and Mag Ride now as well.

I would still like to know if anyone has managed to get a discount on an S3 Sportback and what sort of discount it came to?

I think you should run in and get it specced because it can be done and ordered for Oct/Nov.

You are a lucky chappie if your getting one! I loved it but ran out of rev range too quickly before having to change up! Awesome!

Speak to the dealer mate..

I got a discount on a stock S3 when I asked and it came very quickly. I think you can get a discount, they aren't exactly flying out of the showroom at the moment with the credit crunch and overall caution.

You could wait and see what they have in stock closer to the time and then do a deal ? +++

Yeah Mate that was kinda what i have decided to do - heres a quick story - I nearly got a Q7 at launch - on a C/Hire £790 a month and then 1 year later down to £499 so I have learnt - I reckon next Feb is the time to look just before new reg kicks in - bound to be some pre-registered cars around as well in March!

Cheers

Tone

Can somone tell me what 'magnetic ride' is please?

Hiya Matey

Its a new tech introduced on the TT mk2 where by the dampers/shocks have a liquid metal filings I believe inside them. When you press the button an electrical current is passed through the shocks bringing all the filings together and firming up the suspension.

There is some good gumph on it on the Audi web site.

HTH

Tone