Merc 220d C Estate

Dave

Saw a black one of these today, brand new, with AMG wheels and body kits..

thought it looked good..

anyone driven a 220D.. my preference would be the 320, but is the 220 d any good. The guy driving it reckons it is good for 140mph, but at 80 he reckons he was in the 40mpg's !!

....but at 80 he reckons he was in the 40mpg's !!

Do you think that is good or bad??

I sat at 80mph from Norwich to castle Combe in the 320d auto and that returned 47mpg. Sunday was quiet and I may have been going a little faster on the way home and this dropped to 44.5mpg.

Spent the day bombing round town and it is now back to 42mpg which is probably where it will stay until I reset it again or go on a few long jouneys.

I would think the Merc is aorund 5mpg behind the BMW, so 40's at 80mph sounds about right.

Sorry mate,

I didn't make myself very clear...

I think 40's mpg at 80 is excellent...

What I'm really saying in my post is that id the 220d can produce those sorts of figures, then I'm really wasting my money going for the 320d.+++

Problem with the C320 cdi is it does like to drink, the guy who owns the Ford dealership has a new C320cdi sport with all the toys and his obc is reading 28mpg. I also didn't find it any quicker than my remapped BMW 320d, not sure what the official figures are but I would guess around 220bhp??

My BMW can get to 60mph in 7.2 seconds, the Merc felt no faster, however that may have been because the 6 cylinder is smoother so it doesn't feel as fast???

Thanks for that..

my father has the E320 sport, and it is indeed smooth..

But I think it might be overkill on a c class.. I might have to go down and try the 220d.. It might do all I need with out over paying for the six cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that..

my father has the E320 sport, and it is indeed smooth..

But I think it might be overkill on a c class.. I might have to go down and try the 220d.. It might do all I need with out over paying for the six cylinder.

Your father has a merc, surely that says it all? old mans car IMO

Get and Audi or BMW, that 535d you were talking about would be a perfect all rounder