My mates R8

Dave

This weekend I spent with my mate Andy, the guy who owns the R8 (and a lovely Q7, but that's another story).

The first thing that strikes you about the car is how utterly beautiful it is in the flesh.. the proportions are perfect. It sits very low to the ground and has a purposeful stance. As you walk up to the R8 you can see the gleaming V8 through the rear panel. Some of the best lines of the car stem from the rear. The rear tyres are enormous.. 295/30!! certainly interested in putting the power down.. front's are quite a bit smaller at 235/30.. you wonder how that effects the quattro set up?

It didn't take long before we hit the road, and I have to say.. I was very impressed.. Acceleration is excellent, the V8 revs to 8000rpm and pulls from low down, but when you hit around 5000 revs it seems to come into a world of it's own.

It isn't as quick in a drag race as a 911 turbo, but when you get into the mags, such as evo, it destroys cars such as that around the track.. and that is down to the handling... it is sublime. It's a long time since I've been in a road car with such neutral handling... it will wag it's tail if provoked but the 60/40 split that Audi now have is a real eye opener.. None of the nose wide under steer that afflicts a lot of Audi's.. because the engine is in the back it dives into bends with easy and the only way to tell how much speed you are carrying is by looking at the speedo.

Andy has the magnetic ride option on his R8 which is something I would certainly spec if I was lucky enough to have the option of buying one. In fact all Audi S and RS cars should have this as standard. The ride firms up and the car feels like it is on tip toes ready to explode.. turn it off and you have a comfortable GT car.

Here are some pics of the car.. and Andy's father appeared when we got back.. big bonus points if anyone can tell me what he's driving +++ I've crudely disguised some of the photo so apologies for that!

All in all the car blew away all my misconceptions.. I can see why it is in such demand and I think the waiting list for new is around 18 months. The car has that aura about it and people in the street stop and stare..

post-135-137914415601_thumb.jpg

post-135-137914415604_thumb.jpg

post-135-137914415606_thumb.jpg

The rear tyres are enormous.. 295/30!! certainly interested in putting the power down.. front's are quite a bit smaller at 235/30.. you wonder how that effects the quattro set up?

Dave - my C4S is similar, with 305/30 at the rear and 235/35 up front, so I'm sure that is consistent with the rear bias of the quattro set up!!

It isn't as quick in a drag race as a 911 turbo, but when you get into the mags, such as evo, it destroys cars such as that around the track.. and that is down to the handling... it is sublime.

Is that really true?

I thought that typically the mags were comparing a 911 C2S (or C4S) with Powerkit option (380bhp) with the R8 as broadly equivalent?

I'd have thought the Turbo with a further 100bhp+ would be another league ahead?

:beer:

Sidicks

Here are some pics of the car.. and Andy's father appeared when we got back.. big bonus points if anyone can tell me what he's driving +++ I've crudely disguised some of the photo so apologies for that!

Is that a Masserati in the background?

Sidicks

Top Gears stig has them as:

Audi R8: 1.24.4 21st place

911 Turbo: 1.31.0 56th Place

saying that it is beaten by a 911 GT3 Rs with a time of 1.22.3

Evo here has the R8 almost as fast as an Enzo!

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/209930/supercars.html

There's something wrong with that 911 Turbo time - maybe a downpour ?!!

Evo has 997 GT3 at 1.22.60 and R8 at 1.22.10 with 997 Turbo at 1.23.55, which I find hard to believe, but concurs with your comment (although is at odds with the times above (GT3 2 seconds faster than the R8).

Unless you can get both cars tested at the same track at the same time, then direct comparisons are going to be tricky!

Sidicks

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Very nice but if i were in the postion of buying one i have to say i'd be far more tempted with a 2nd hand Gallardo. Very nice maser too

Not only is it a Maser in the background, but it's a Maser driven and owned by my 79 year old dad!!!! How understatedly cool is that.

Like the black R8 with Millteks, just fitted mine with them and would recommend them to any R8 owner. Not too boomy, but now makes the noise you'd expect the looks to make. Took it to Le Mans and the whole world commented on how good it sounds.