What's your favourite car from the 80s?

Mook

Might sound a bit strange for someone in his late 20's to say this but I think the 1980's is one of my fav decades for car pron. I loved the boxyness of them, so beautiful IMO. So many cars that I would love to own. A lot of them have been posted already but a few fav's:

VW Mk2 Golf G60 Rallye

VW Corrado VR6

Audi Quattro

Lancia Delta S4

Porsche 959 (yeah I know this one isn't boxy)

Renault 5 GT Turbo

Ferrari F40

BMW M1

Ford RS200

Peugeot 405 T16 GR

Mitsubishi Starion

:grin:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might sound a bit strange for someone in his late 20's to say this but I think the 1980's is one of my fav decades for car pron. I loved the boxyness of them, so beautiful IMO. So many cars that I would love to own. A lot of them have been posted already but a few fav's:

VW Mk2 Golf G60 Rallye

VW Corrado VR6

Audi Quattro

Lancia Delta S4

Porsche 959 (yeah I know this one isn't boxy)

Renault 5 GT Turbo

Ferrari F40

BMW M1

Ford RS200

Peugeot 405 T16 GR

Mitsubishi Starion

:grin:

I couldn't agree more with you on this +++

The 80s was a great decade for cars, designers unfettered by safety/NCAP stuff, angular designs, and early examples of good turbocharging, fuel injection and multivalve engines, oh and pop-up headlights aplenty :)

Feck, you sound like you're talking authoritatively there TDK :eek::P

Always liked the Mk5 Cortina. Someone around the corner from me had a 1.6 (I think) Crusader in light blue. It was mint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34137&stc=1&d=1223488636

Also loved the Granada of the same era, the same as garcon posted.

Love the UR quattro, being an Audi fan.

My Grandpa had a B reg Vauxhall Cavalier 130 SRi. The one with the three spoke steering wheel. Can only just remember it as it was the car he had when I was born!!

Also, who could forget the Montego Turbo and the Maestro Turbo! Proper 80s classics!

post-9028-137914421665_thumb.jpg

Yup - the 1.6 was the original and they brought out the 1.9 in response to VW bringing out the 16v GTI +++

Me and Bootsy have argued for hours over too many beers on the subject "what is better, 205 Gti or Golf Gti ?".

Ben, I had the same Cav Sri as your Grandad, my first 'performance' car (I use the word performance in its broadest possible sense), hatchback, helios blue and graphite, heavy understeery rotbox. Loved it at the time, lots of memories (first speeding ticket, first in-car shag, first v max etc etc), but with hindsight, it really was cr*p. Looked very much like this -

cavsri.jpg

Here's another fave, Saab 900 T16, awesome power and no handling -

image071.jpg

Me and Bootsy have argued for hours over too many beers on the subject "what is better, 205 Gti or Golf Gti ?".

That's easy.

Between the 205 1.6 GTI and the Golf GTI, the Golf gets it.

Between the 205 1.9 GTI and the Golf GTI 16v, the 205 gets it.

But try finding a 205 1.9 GTI today that's not got more holes in it than your old aunt's doilies...

That's easy.

Between the 205 1.6 GTI and the Golf GTI, the Golf gets it.

Between the 205 1.9 GTI and the Golf GTI 16v, the 205 gets it.

But try finding a 205 1.9 GTI today that's not got more holes in it than your old aunt's doilies...

Aaaah, but its not, factor in styling, reliability... and too much booze... then it gets complicated.

the first one in the pic for me :)

I had a 1.6 205 GTI on a B plate, the quattro is a F plate 88 model. Also liked the 309 GTI I had on a 89 G...

Dunc

Missus once had a 309 Sri (poor mans 205 Gti). It was made from plastic coat hangers. Not a bad drive though :) Sold it when we discovered the fuel tank was venting (with no seals ever fitted from new by the look of it) straight into the cabin under the rear seat where we put the babyseat :(