A8 Facelift Differences

mik2855

I'm currently thinking about buying a 2-3 yr old A8 3.0Tdi, either SE or Sport spec. I know the A8 was mildly facelifted around Oct 2007 and I've seen on this forum that the steering and ride were improved for the facelift. Does anyone know what mechanical changes were made and whether the improvement was significant? In other words, is it worth paying more for a facelift car?

I know that there were some minor cosmetic changes for the facelift too (mirrors, foglights). Were there any other worthwile changes?

Regarding the spec of the car, I'm pretty much certain that I want comfort seats and a phone kit but I'm not sure about Bose. A lot of A8's seem to have the Bose hi fi fitted. Is it worthwile? Does anyone know whether xenons were standard or optional because I would want those too.

Lastly, I know that the Sport models are a bit lower and the suspension a bit harder. Is there an appreciable difference in ride and handling between Sport and SE models? I'm looking for good handling but also a comfortable ride, particularly at motorway speeds. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Noticeable cosmetic differences between the pre and post Oct 2007 cars were the front and rear lights (rear lights look so much cooler than pre facelift) and also the exhaust tail pipes i believe.

There are many more i'm sure and somebody will be able to fill you in on the whole list, including the mechanical differences.

I have Bose in mine and it is awesome. It makes me wonder how amazing the B&O system must be. I would always go for as many of the optional extras as possible. Not only will it give you more enjoyment, but when you come to sell it, you will stand a much better chance of getting the right price for it when compared with a similar age car without all the goodies.

I know the sport suspension may be a little harder and stiffer, but it still rides great, even in dynamic mode.

Most of the changes were cosmetic, and can be retrofitted to the pre-facelift model.

The Bose stereo is great, and the only other option was the B&O which is apparently even better. Xenons were usually fitted as far as I know, and I'd be shocked if you bought an SE or Sport that didn't have them.

Hi mik2855

If it were me buying again, I'd be happy to pay about £3k extra for a facelift car, all factory options being equal. The facelift nailed all the complaints I had about earlier cars:

- road noise finally brought down to class competitive levels, i.e similar to Phaeton and S-class;

- ride improved over expansion joints and cats eyes to the point where a facelift car on 20s felt like an earlier car on 18s;

- a more direct steering rack fitted for less arm twirling into slow bends.

The changes seem subtle at first, but they are all in areas which fundamentally affect your enjoyment of the car.

HTH

Mine's a 2007 pre-facelift Sport. I haven't driven either an SE or a post facelift so can't give you any opinion on ride and handling differences. I have retrofitted the '08 rear lights to mine as I think they look great. Mine has Bose which I would highly recommend. That said I've never heard B&O so can't comment on it.

Differences that I'm aware of, some of which have already been mentioned above:

Suspension / Steering changes to improve ride/handling/NVH

New wheel designs

Rectangular front foglamps

New rear lamp cluster design

Side repeater indicators moved from wing to door mirrors.

Chrome trim to edge of door pockets.

DAB as standard.

Xenon as standard. (I was suprised that my pre-facelift didn't come with it)

I expect there are a few things I've missed off.

There is no bad choice here. I have owned a 2005 Sport and now have a 2008 SE.

The facelift bought xenons as standard whereas a remarkable number of pre-facelift cars have no xenons.

I sold the Sport as I did not like the Sports Seats. My SE has Comfort Seats which are great but this is very personal - try both. You will struggle to get a Sport with Comfort Seats but one might be out there. Standard seats are a no no for resale.

BOSE is excellent. The A8 books with BOSE and I have never seen one without it. It would be a top tip for resale.

As for suspension, the Sport only sits lower in the three soft modes - lift, comfort and auto. In dynamic, the SE and Sport both sit at the same level. Personally I found little difference in dynamic between the two and have fitted MTM's F-Cantronic suspension upgrade to tighten things up. Even with this the A8 is still no sports car but is impressive for what it is.

Overall, the A8 is a great feel good car which does not shout money and offend people but is very satisfying to own. Great value used. Let us know what you get.

Strange you should mention the BOSE, I worked on two 2008 A8's today, both LWB, one a 3.0 TDi LWB and the other a 4.2 TDi LWB and neither had BOSE. Don't know if they were SE's or not.

I have seen quite a few D3s without BOSE too. Whilst BOSE was a fairly common option compared with for example the heated windscreen, there still seem loads of D3s without it, but it worth finding one with it, as it sounds excellent.

As has been mentioned, there are lots of D3s without xenon lights about. The MY08 facelift got them as standard. However one thing to note is that they got Xenons as standard, but not adaptive light. On the pre-facelift ones, whilst many were not fitted with xenons, most people who opted for them, seemed to go for the ones with adaptive light. Adaptive light gives you the main/dipped beams that turn as you steer, and also have a smaller light between the xenon light and the daytime running light that goes on when you turn the steering wheel more than 180 degrees at lower speeds.

Adaptive light is an option on the facelift too and can easily be spotted by the addition of the small lights between the xenon lamp and the daylight running lamp.

My 2003 3.7 (not made anymore I don't think) D3 has the following optional extras as Audi calls them fitted, but I don't think its an SE but I am sure someone will advise me.

4 zone climate control, auto boot lid, bose surround system, delux front armrest?, electric rear blind, facia inlays in birch, hands free GSM, heated front & rear seats, lumbar rear electric, one touch memory system, TV reception, voice control?, xenon plus,dvd sat nav, extended leather pack, extended aluminium pack?, comfort seats. Things like parking sensors I think are standard on all.

So! what have I got, SE? It certainly does not state SE anywhere.

Edited by david1

I believe SE and Sport versions were only introduced for the D3 after the single frame grill was rolled out as part of the mini-facelift at the time. For the first 18 months or so you could only get A8s in one trim but you could choose sports suspension and sports seats etc to roll your own! It sounds like your one is simply a fairly well spec'd standard A8. The 3.7 V8 was ditched soon after the 3.2 V6 was introduced replacing the original 3.0 petrol.

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for an A8 and had seen threads like this claiming the changes in the Audi last model year (early 08) included sound proofing and suspension mods that made the ride better (as we have in this thread).

I spoke to a well known independant Audi dealer and he said this was not true..

I was discussing a later car, so he was not trying to push a pre-facelift.. Has anyone really verified this with Audi UK etc???

BR

Simon

Well what you read here is true, and the dealer you were talking to does not know the A8 like people here! He seems not to know his product. Below is a link to the English version of an Audi press release on the audiworld website providing details of the changes made to the A8 for the model year 2008 onwards. Improved suspension, better soundproofing and several other improvements are all detailed here:

Audi A8: Sporty Luxury and Exemplary Efficiency

• 12 years later...