Audi A6 MMI Upgrade and MP3 connection

Hi all,

New to this forum as i have just purchased an Audi A6 avant sline - it has the high MMI colour screen sat nav with a 6 CD changer in the glovebox and the sat nav dvd in the boot. The sat nav display is colour but only 2D.

Couple of questions

• The firmware of my mmi is 5070 - if i upgrade to 5150 will i get 3D maps? what other functions would be enabled? I have spoke to Audi and they said that you wont get 3D maps by upgrading the MMI software but others on this forum seem to indicate you do?

• Secondly i feel like my arms have been cut off as i have no way of playing mp3's - what would people suggest is the easiest and cheapest method? From doing some research i believe that in the 2007 A6's the CD changer supported mp3 CD's? i would prefer to be able to see track names and select tracks via the MMI

Thanks

Darren

You should be able to turn the 3D view on in the settings for sat nav... Though maybe it needs 5150 (I thought it was 3120 or similar).

MP3s - Not cheap if you don't have the MP3 changer which I think was still an option. Good news is that the MMI or MP3 changer is a straight swap out for your existing unit.

If you're wary of doing it yourself, then look up craigyb as this is what he does for a living.

It may be a straight swap out, but it will need a dealer visit to remove CP on the CD changer.

A bit confused 5070 is not a valid software version?

3D mapping came in at 3460 so that is the minimum requirement and also for support of Mp3 CD changer or AMI it need to be 3460 or higher.

thanks for the info, must have got my numbers mixed up!! Managed to download the 5150 version burn it onto a CD and update the software in the car - hey presto 3D mapping is available which is great!!

will have a look on ebay for an mp3 CD changer as a striaght swap with mine, if i werent to do that are there any other ways you would recommend?

i have seen a website called 'xcarlink' that have an ipod and usb / sd card reader for less than £100, have you heard of them and are they any good?

by the way audi said installing the AMI for £400 was the only way to get mp3 into my car....and they said there is (and i quote) no way of getting 3D mapping on the 2G MMI, shows what they know!

by the way audi said installing the AMI for £400 was the only way to get mp3 into my car....and they said there is (and i quote) no way of getting 3D mapping on the 2G MMI, shows what they know!

That ignorance of what is possible is, sadly, 100% typical of the majority of Audi dealers.

Sorry I hadn't read that bit what is 'cp'? Is it something that could be. Removed by doing an mmi software update rather than going to the dealer?

Been doing a bit more searching and there is an optical iPod link made my xcarlink, looks like it will work with the mmi high but not through it's interface, has anyone installed this? It's only £75 as well

I'd say to swap the CD Changer for an AMI (though you'll need something to play the music from and the appropriate cable). The MP3 changer route would be fine too, but you could end up with another hour's labour from a stealer to sort out component protection.

I'd say to swap the CD Changer for an AMI (though you'll need something to play the music from and the appropriate cable).

I thought you needed a CD or MP3 changer to be able to install any SW upgrades, so if you swap the CD changer to AMI then you won't be able to do a SW upgrade?

Sorted my solution now, just ordered the Most fibre interface for the mmi from xcarlink, must be a brand new product as it wasn't on there the other day! It connects in line with the cd changer (even I could install it it's that easy!!) and gives 4 auxiliary inputs selectable like CDs in a cd changer via the mmi. It doesn't give you track names or charge the iPod but you can connect any device and get perfect audio quality - best of all it's only £120 delivered!!! Thanks for all your help and advice

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...