Kawasaki H2R

Mort

Can't wait to see the road version in a few weeks time - now that the HP4 has found a new home........ :secret:

I fear how much the track version will cost but I'd certainly be at the front of that queue if I had the money.  The video of the noises it makes shifting is absolutely bonkers.  Hats off to Kawasaki  +++

Nice to see some one take a leap forward rather than just a small evolution.

But what's this that your HP4 has gone????

I fell out of love with it a little bit to be honest after my wrangle with BMW.  Then I had an issue with the rear brake becoming seized - whilst negotiating a roundabout!  I considered it strange/coincidental that this happened a few miles after collecting the bike and the rear tyre being replaced and I waited for two weeks for someone to get back to me on that from the dealers.

So I ended up making a few calls and within an hour I'd got a really good offer which saw her on her way.  

It's an amazing bike and I feel privileged to have owned one but I just didn't feel like riding it any more so it was stupid to hold onto it.  Now I just have to decide what could possibly replace it! 

p.s. EU75k for the H2R 

<gulp>

Ouch!  Talking yesterday with a mate I had guessed north of £40k.

I wonder how toned down the road version will be?  Rumours have it anywhere from 200bhp to 250bhp and around the £20k mark.  Personally I think they need to go at least 220bhp to put clear water between them and the Panigale/HP4/F4RR at the same price point.

I'd also love the road version to retain some of the aerodynamic elements.  

It's certainly on my list of things to have a good look over at the Motorcycle Show.  Talking of which, I am there on the Monday (Nov 24th) if anyone is about and fancies a mooch around helping me decide what to replace the BMW with?!  

So, I have some information from Kawasaki:

• 15 will be coming into the UK for March - Great, nice and rare then
  • No confirmation whether any more will be coming into the country during 2015 - Okay
  • Indication that it will be 250bhp - Wow, happy days!
  • Won't say whether aero pieces are carried over or what material bodywork will be or any other spec info - Oh!
  • Deposit of £5k to secure one for March - Okay, I can live with that
  • Deposit is non-refundable - Feck off!!!! Without even seen a picture I think that is taking the Mickey.

If the deposit was refundable I probably would have reserved one (I may live to regret it anyway if they start changing hands at a premium) but to hand over a non-refundable £5k without knowing any of the spec or what it is going to look like is a step too far for me.  I have no doubt that they will find 15 people who'll be happy with that arrangement though.

If I fall in love with it when the full details are released then I shall just have to put my name down and hope they bring more into the country later in the year.

• Like 1

It would be a unique bike for sure Busby...  that alone would make it worth a punt. Putting 5K down on a bike where you dont know the full retail price or even what it looks like is a bit of a big ask from the retailer though. I hope you get it....

Can't do the bike show up there. Will have to wait for the Excel one.

Deposits - I thought the distance selling laws came in and meant you could actually spec a vehicle and if you don't like it on delivery then walk away with all your money. Maybe not?

It would be a unique bike for sure Busby...  that alone would make it worth a punt. Putting 5K down on a bike where you dont know the full retail price or even what it looks like is a bit of a big ask from the retailer though. I hope you get it....

Their indication is that the RRP will be £25k - £100 for each bhp  ;)

It's not knowing what it will look like or what the spec is that kills it for me.  No clue whether the road bike will have additional side fairings, whether the seat unit will change, whether the aero parts will be the same, how the lights will live alongside the huge front air intakes of the track version, what suspension/brakes it will carry, etc, etc.  

I am also struggling to believe that only 15 will be imported next year.  Why create such massive hype and spend such massive development money and then only sell 15 bikes for £25k?  

Like I said, I might live to regret it one way or the other but I am not comfortable giving them the money on the terms they have proposed so in true Dragon's Den style, I'm out - well, for now at least!

Can't do the bike show up there. Will have to wait for the Excel one.

Deposits - I thought the distance selling laws came in and meant you could actually spec a vehicle and if you don't like it on delivery then walk away with all your money. Maybe not?

That's a shame - let me know when you're going to the Excel show and I shall see if I can make it down  +++

Good point on the distance selling regulations.  I'm sure they probably do come into effect e.g if they take the £5k and then tell you that actually the price is £40k then surely you can pull out without any penalty?  Similarly if they have told you nothing about the specifications and then you decide you don't like it when you do find out.  The last thing I need is another legal wrangle with a bike manufacturer though  :uhoh:

All change again!  The dealer principal got in touch today - there was a mix up yesterday and the deposit is 100% refundable!  Shame for them is that I had already spoken with Kawasaki UK to confirm it wasn't a general policy and then got my name down with another dealer.  Fair play to them for calling back though and clearing things up.

Full details to be released at EICMA at the start of Nov and the dealer will be calling me then to see what I want to do.  Bit odd at the moment as they won't/can't officially confirm anything about it - including the power output or price!  The only thing Kawasaki UK would tell me was that they hadn't told the dealers anything other than the first bikes were expected in Spring 2015.

We shall see.........

• Like 3

'kin good on yer James...

Hope it all works out. Should be amazing.

I don't do bikes, but that looks amazing.

If the road version looks half as good...

Cheers all.  I really hope the road version isn't watered down too much.  I can't see the full carbon fairings or the aero making it onto the road bike but I hope the tail sections stays the same and that the front isn't re-designed too much to accommodate the lights along with the intakes.  I'm also interested to see what suspension/brake set-up it is going to be wearing.  It's going to feel like a long four weeks that's for sure.  Fingers crossed the rumours of 250 bhp are right  :)

• Like 1

MCN have run a story this week claiming that the road bike will be 200bhp and £20k.  That would keep Kawasaki in line with the current agreement by Japanese manufacturers to not go over 200bhp.  Thus, if their story is true, then I presume the bike will also be limited to 186mph to stay in line with that agreement.

I'm sure the power delivery will be very different due to the supercharger and I'm also sure you won't be seeing may of these about but at that power output it is now squarely up against the MVF4RR, HP4, new S1000RR and Panigale S or R.  Then you have the wailing V4 of the RSV4 which is a touch down on top power but still monsters its way around a track just as quickly as bikes with 20 more horsepower thanks to a 250GP chassis and immense corner speed.

I guess we'll find out for sure in a few weeks but I was convinced that the Kawasaki would at least 220bhp to mark itself out.

As a leftfield choice I am also looking at the Superduke 1290 R which is properly mental!!!

• Like 1

As a leftfield choice I am also looking at the Superduke 1290 R which is properly mental!!!

Following this thread with interest Busby, the Kwak with 220+ bhp will really be a special bit of kit... however like I think you are feeling now, if it's "just" another c200bhp bike then it kind of tarnishes the wow factor somewhat.

I've been told by the local dealer I can't get a Superduke till next March now, not sure if it's just the dealer can't get them and other can, or if they really are like rocking horse poo ?!

189bhp V-Twin in a tiny bike like the Duke will be truly terrifying !!!!  :D

Following this thread with interest Busby, the Kwak with 220+ bhp will really be a special bit of kit... however like I think you are feeling now, if it's "just" another c200bhp bike then it kind of tarnishes the wow factor somewhat.

I've been told by the local dealer I can't get a Superduke till next March now, not sure if it's just the dealer can't get them and other can, or if they really are like rocking horse poo ?!

189bhp V-Twin in a tiny bike like the Duke will be truly terrifying !!!!  :D

There are a couple of dealers who currently have 'the beast' in stock.  I know that a week or two ago Redline in Loughborough had a black one in stock.

I wouldn't be wanting it until March anyway so that could be good for me!  I also see that KTM have opened up a deposit scheme to guarantee yourself one for next year as they think they will be oversubscribed again.  My concern with it is the amount of extras that I'd want - the exhaust system is another two grand!!  It would be a hell of a lot of fun though  :)

Have you seen the videos of it fitted with the Austin Racing exhaust?  They copied the design from the prototype bike that KTM made and it looks amazing.  I'm unsure as the how the rest of my street might feel about the noise though!

Edited by Busby