Yamaha 2015 R1 Launch

Busby

I haven't read the MCN group test (R1, 1299, S1000RR, GSXR1000, ZX10,  and Firebalde SP) this week but have heard that the R1 romped it both on road and track.  

Apparently it was not far off a second faster than the Panigale on a lap of Jerez.  I'll try and pick up a copy today - I'll send it over Paul :-)

No worries mate  - I have seen it...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLn4-HjNbCaczVJSldRc1V3NEk/view

Great result for the bike... 2 secs a lap  faster than the BMW.... jesus...  surprising it was rated as a good road bike too.... I was expecting it to be too focussed for the road...

Went to see the bike today. Looks great... sounds very different to the old R1.... Looks like Wednesday before I can ride it. ... I feel like a kid before Christmas.

• Like 3

MCN has just done its Superbike Shootout at Jerez

Fastest lap time: R1: 1:50

The rest (time behind R1):

Pani +0.7

Zx10r +2.3

S1000rr +2.5

Blade +3.1

GSXR +3.4

Top speed : r1

0-60: (what's the point) Zx with r1 at 0.09

1/4 mile : zx with 10.23/150.4 and r1 4th with 10.42/152.2

Roll on 40-120: bmw 8.9, r1 5th with 10.53

Brake 70-0 : BMS 47.5M with r1 6th with 55.47

They also did a 300 mile road comparison:

R1 more fun than Bmw.

Most rounded bikes in order :

BMW

R1

Pani

ZX

Blade

'Bringing up the rear the GSXR (mostly on on wheel)'

"Yamaha's R1 is our new Superbike king.

It's sensational on track and so accomplished on the road that it's easy to forgive it's lack of ultimate comfort. "

• Like 1

Picked up the bike on Thursday just in time for a long planned 2 day track day event.  Basically I rode it home and put it on the trailer and straight to the track so no time for any running in malarky.

Wow, this bike is awesome. Nothing like the previous R1. Feels like a 600 but goes faster than anything I've ever ridden. Lighter, narrower, more agile. Great engine, brakes and the electronics are fabulous and gives loads of confidence. Its the perfect bike. Cannot fault it in any way.

Much fun was had. We had a great thrash round the track. The bike had a crowd around it all weekend. My lap times came down but I have so much to learn as I am riding in unknown territory for me from now on...

Other news... my son has been offered a ride in a proper race team riding a Honda RS125. A team focussed on promoting and improving young riders. A great opportunity for him.

post-5188-0-10439400-1428197332_thumb.jppost-5188-0-57330800-1428197366_thumb.jppost-5188-0-10388200-1428197434_thumb.jp

Edited by Mort
  • Like 4

Glad your clicking with it. Not surprised as I'm yet to see any negative comments on these.

Great shot of the 'old' and new side by side. Certainly looks smaller.

Did you experience any of the electronics activating or is it too early on for pushing to that level?

Great news about your sons opportunity :)

The electronics were very good. I started in B-mode (A-mode being the most aggressive). PWR=2 (out of 4)  TCS=3 (out of 9), SCS2 (out of 2) - higher numbers mean more intervention.. This was a good mode to get to know the bike. Later I used A mode (PWR=1 TCS=2). The throttle is much more abrupt (but not as bad as the previous R1 in A mode). After a few laps it was fine and gets you on the power quickly. The traction control is magic. First, you can't really tell its working until you do something that should have the bike spinning/sliding and it clearly isn't. Example there's a tight 90 degree turn in to an uphill stretch. I could use 1st here (which is a very tall gear) and nail it with confidence out of the turn to make an easy pass. TCS kept everything fine and the lift control just gave that delicious feeling of the front wheel hovering 8 inches off the road. Quickshift to second and it stays up there throughout. The old bike would tie itself in knots riding like that and you'd have to use 2nd...There's another turn at this track. A huge 180 degree right. very wide. The fast way is to double-apex it with turn point deep towards the outside of the track at 90 degrees and drive hard out. It takes serious bottle because you enter mighty fast and there's long drive out. The bike was super stable on the brakes and you could really get on the throttle on the way out with no issues and kick gears at it down the straight... the sheer power of the thing is breath taking... you have to hang on tight. The impressive thing about the electronics is you don't ever notice them working and for a very average rider like me it gives huge confidence to push harder. Fabulous.... I could jabber on all night about this bike.... its brilliant.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...