BMW M2

Andy_Bangle

• 4 weeks later...

First impressions of M2 - 5 days in.

Sound is fantastic. Every journey feels like an event.

It gets a lot of attention! Partly because of the colour - but also because of its squat aggressive stance. People do just seem to like it. I have actually had a random teenage lad taking a pictures of it on day 1 on the street.

I am finding the instruments and stuff a step back from the S3. Especially the small fonts on the displays and the dials are very difficult to read in daylight. 

Compared to the latest Audi Virtual cockpit - It's not great.

The speakers (upgraded) are still poor.

It's already been to Shell twice as the fuel tank isn't too big.

And road noise is quite intrusive. It's going to be the Mrs car for long journeys.

Andy had pointed most of these things out!

BUT ........

It's got character. It makes you want to make a journey in it - and when you do, it makes you smile.

I had the same feeling when I got my first R32 in 2003.

Its not complicated to drive (especially as mines a manual). It actually feels like going back to vinyl in an MP3 world

I actually reckon this will become my favourite owned car ever.

I have fallen in love with driving again......even in the middle of winter, which says a lot about the car.

Edited by Soulboy
Typos
  • Like 6

On 25/12/2016 at 7:05 AM, Soulboy said:

I am finding the instruments and stuff a step back from the S3. Especially the small fonts on the displays and the dials are very difficult to read in daylight. 

Compared to the latest Audi Virtual cockpit - It's not great. - told ya!

The speakers (upgraded) are still poor. - told ya!

It's already been to Shell twice as the fuel tank isn't too big. - too small

And road noise is quite intrusive. It's going to be the Mrs car for long journeys. - think I said that too 

Andy had pointed most of these things out!  :finger:

BUT ........

It's got character. It makes you want to make a journey in it - and when you do, it makes you smile.

I had the same feeling when I got my first R32 in 2003.

Its not complicated to drive (especially as mines a manual). It actually feels like going back to vinyl in an MP3 world

I actually reckon this will become my favourite owned car ever.

I have fallen in love with driving again......even in the middle of winter, which says a lot about the car.

Have you tried M Dynamic mode (MDM)? briefly press the DSC button in comfort mode - you will shit-your-pants laughing +++ I'd only recommend it on dry roads around town this time of the year. 

On 27/12/2016 at 1:24 PM, Soulboy said:

If this is correct the (current) M2/2 series is going to stop production next summer.

Not being up to speed with BMW - is that likely just a new model year or facelift?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/production-schedule-unveils-busy-year-for-bmw-ar175397.html

Yep, production stop in Q2 then return in Q3/Q4 as the LCI and/or the M2 Competition or M2 CS with the S55 engine.

Capture.JPG

Cheers Andy.

You were right on all counts.. :grin:

God knows what the standard speakers are like. Doubt you can even hear them!

The speedo and rev counter are pi55 poor in daylight. My work round is to start off with the digital temp gauge on start up (1 click on LH stalk).

Then as soon as it's warm (indicates 'ok') it's 5 clicks on the LH stalk to get the miniscule digital speedo up.......but it's better than the dials. At least I may have some idea how fast I'm going in daylight!

Amazing car though. Really, really loving it.

Not tried MDM yet....but will when the conditions make sense. Is that what they use on all the track / testing vids?

Edited by Soulboy

• 4 years later...
On 19/03/2016 at 11:36 AM, NewNiceMrMe said:

Limited in number to begin with, they may be.  I'd be amazed if they remain like that and I personally wouldn't be putting an ounce of faith in them becoming any more sought after than other cars or having better residuals.

I could be wrong, but very few M cars actually have great residuals. 

Another MrMe prediction....:wacko:

4y 8m ownership and 32k miles and it retained c70% of its purchase price. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, billy2shots said:

That made me smile. 

I miss those predictions. Quite a knack to be wrong so often. 

Hope he is well wherever he is. 

We could have made a fortune betting against everything he predicted in hindsight Billy! 

His best friend was Google. Whatever anyone posted on any subject, he always new more. :grin:

Nearly posted once about my favourite food, but he would only have told me I was wrong and what it really was :roflmao:

Really hope he is well too.

Miss the old TSN days. 

18 hours ago, Soulboy said:

We could have made a fortune betting against everything he predicted in hindsight Billy! 

His best friend was Google. Whatever anyone posted on any subject, he always new more. :grin:

Nearly posted once about my favourite food, but he would only have told me I was wrong and what it really was :roflmao:

Really hope he is well too.

Miss the old TSN days. 

Haha, you've got to laugh haven't you. 

I must admit I almost did a search on Tyson Fury on here after this weekends events. 

I'm almost positive I mentioned him as a 'up and coming" but was shot down with MM saying David Haye is the best heavyweight ever :roflmao:

Anyway, he's not here so it would be unfair of me to go further (in a friendly manner of course). 

Edited, couldn't help but do a search. 

It was your good self that called Fury, looks like I shared your views . Someone else didn't lol. 

Edited by billy2shots

10 hours ago, billy2shots said:

Haha, you've got to laugh haven't you. 

I must admit I almost did a search on Tyson Fury on here after this weekends events. 

I'm almost positive I mentioned him as a 'up and coming" but was shot down with MM saying David Haye is the best heavyweight ever :roflmao:

Anyway, he's not here so it would be unfair of me to go further (in a friendly manner of course). 

Edited, couldn't help but do a search. 

It was your good self that called Fury, looks like I shared your views . Someone else didn't lol. 

When I posted, TF had been training at Jimmy Egans gym in Manchester. I used to train there many years ago so was aware of his rising status locally. 

Have coached now for a long time so know a good prospect. He is far more skilled than most people realise for such a big guy. 

At least me and you can give ourselves a pat on the back after all these years for calling it right. :grin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The good and older NNMM is alive and well. 

Many car prices and the M2 are mental at the moment, I looked at an M2 last year and decided against it, add pandemic and the same car is now £10k more than it was. Great motor and without a new model on sale yet it’s still in high demand.

Not easy to find a good unmolested one though without even more expense.