Welcome to the MkV Gti owners

Hopsta

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought a Silver 5dr GTI, trading up from a Skoda Octavia VRS and wow what a difference. Not really given her the full monty yet (only 120 miles on the clock) but very impressed all the same.

Just starting to really enjoy the DSG box, making less errors and like a manual it rewards you when you get it just right.

Purchased mine from Motorprovider and saved £3000 on the UK list, couple of niggles on the import spec but at the end of the day was difference between having a GTi or not!

So far would recommend this route, they were helpfull and got me a new GTi in under 2 weeks...local dealer was quoting Sept or Oct and would not budge from list. Not that I blame him, supply and demand I guess.

Fantastic forum , convinced me to go for it, no regrets - cheers

smile.gif thanks Dazdot !

I'm in Kent close to Matt R, may even see him when I take her in to get the european driving lights sorted and ipod gear setup.

Will post some pics when cleaner, Motorprovider delivered her through 250 miles of rain and not had a clean since blush.gif

Jonny,

Think you are right, they mentioned a cancelled order, hence why I got it so quick I guess.

Did you get your V5 promptly ... still waiting for mine from DVLA? :-(

Recently noticed the engine note and exhaust noise really changing, starting to sound bit louder than when first arrived. I trust this is normal and not some sort of fault. Will keep driving and see.

Saw a diamond black one the other day here ...looks really great but having owned a black VRS just couldn't be bothered with another black car. I also kinda like the way silver is so understated, no one expects you to blow them off. :-)

Hi every one, just joined after months of interesting reading on many helpful items. Due to have a second test drive of a GTI. I know it only normally takes one.The first one was manual, leather and 5 door, this one has DSG, 3 door and interlagos interior. Will probably order after test drive. Any obvious do's and don'ts. Used to have a VR6 before.

Hi Doug,

Welcome mate, no obvious do's and dont's really. Just get a good test drive and if you are not familiar with DSG try and get a longer drive so you can get a good feel for it. As I understand, it takes a bit of getting used to before you get the best out of it although mine is manual.

Whichever version you go for, I am sure you will enjoy it. 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

Thank's for that, several people have said the same. I am 99% sure that I will opt for the 3 door Tornado red manual version with 18"er's, xenons,sunroof ( I know, I live in Scotland but you just never know)Interlagos interior and a few others little bits but I just wanted to try a DSG. Has anyone ever been able to haggle any discount from the "stealers" on a new GTI 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, been eyeing these forums for a little now and have found them quite informative.

I've just registered and am in the market for possibly.....very possibly a GTi MkV, after making goo use of the search functions, I'm happy I've got a fair idea of some of the ownership issues which may arise.

Bit of background.........self proclaimed car nut.......first car was actually a '66 Type 3 fastback with an 1835cc (from 1600) engine and Porsche rims. Loved it, regretted selling it in fact. Been through a number of cars all of which I loved to death, especially the last two. But now, I think a GTi is on the cards...... Anyone out there NOT completely satisfied with theirs, ie. rattles, noises, fuel consumption etc?

welcome to TSN 169144-ok.gif

There's so much advice available here, hopefully the forum will aid your decision!

I find there's a few rattles on my MkV GTI (comparing this to my previous MkIV and MKIII) but it's only a minor thing to be honest. Fuel consumption is good, I normally get 30-32mpg mixed town and motorway on a manual 'box (although watch out for the DSG'ers on this site)! This is much better than I expected! Best so far has been 34mpg!

Options you should seriously consider are armrest (around 115 quid), highline computer (around 45 quid), it pains me to say this but 18's (around £450) - I went for 17's, and so wish I'd gone for 18's now!

I opted for a sunroof but that's something that I always go for (around £500)

Get one, you'll love it. Check out the forum for photos of different colours - Steel Grey is well known to be the fastest cool.gif

Thanks Muppetboy, I was after a black with xenons and leather, not sure on the roof. Current car has one and I barely remember it's there. I've driven both the manual and the DSG and althought the DSG is amazing, still fell alot more in control when I know the gears won't shift unless I do it. And just love clutches.

Your consumption seems quite reasonable and as I said, just loved the drive. And I came from a rear drive turbo, to a mid engine rear drive, then to a front engine 2/4 wheel split, to a constant all wheel drive. Never liked front drivers much, with the exception of the Pug 205GTi, but our other car is a Clio sport and it is phenomenal. Then I drove the VDub and wow was I impressed. Just wanted it to remain as rattle and squeak free as my mates A4. It certainly seemed to be built well enough to.

Thanks for the feedback BTW.

Welcome to Tyresmoke, Gumball 169144-ok.gif.

After 12,500 miles I still get rattle and squeak around the dashboard area but it varies from day to day and according to road type (and how I drive it!). These sounds aren't loud and I only hear them when I'm driving slowly. The Mk5 GTI's pluses far outweigh any minuses imo.

Welcome Gumball - I've come from an A4 to the GTi - I've had it now a month, done 1350 miles and I'm well chuffed with it. I commute a long way to work (70 Miles each way) and travel A & B roads and I'm getting 34.2 over this distance. I find it an absolute hoot to drive compared to the A4 which looked good BUT was a dull as dish water to throw about.

Squeek and rattle wise I must say the VW is again better, the A4 developed a real ring piece chaffing rattle from the passengers door - it drove me bonkers!! SAUER0421.GIF

Hi 2 All

Signed up today after a little bit of lurking but realised it was full of car geeks ;-)

Picked my bad boy up on 03-06-06, from Motor Provider Sheffield (at a bargain price it was rude not to) ordered on the 12-04-06.

My first Golf was a MK3 Golf Driver M REG then in '99 MK4 Golf GTi Diamond Black -fully loaded- Recaro Leather with BBS Split rims 121,000 miles later I was looking for a change. Then Silver Shadow aka the Beast after a test drive initially the diesel TDi (just because it was the sensible thing to do) then a manual GTi and after some investigation and surfing the DSG. I was hooked, and it kept messin with my my mind, and so I did the right thing and got myself the MK5 GTi it is absolutely awesome !

Apparently the sparkly metallic bits make it go faster.... ECLIPSe.gif

Gave it the Autoglym Lifeshine going over at the weekend. Let me tell you it was lookin sweet smlove2.gif

Silver - DSG - Leather - Cruise - 18inchers - CD stack

Thanks Gents.

Seems to be some awfully usefull info on here on occassions, and since I'm considering a purchase, it's very usefull to me.

Puttling, I know excactly what you're saying. I bought a Subaru Liberty here in Oz about two years ago accompanied by much hype and praise, and although it is a fantastic car, it's just not that inspiring to drive. Then I test a GTi and I'm driving the way I like to drive, it just seemed to promote it. Once I get back into the Sube, I just sit back and relax and cruise. Good for different things I suppose. Just need to enjoy the drive a little more.

• bison unpinned this topic