ATTN: THORBURN!

Ari

Very interesting reading the Evo and Car reviews of the new MX-5, Car love it, Evo finding it dynamically compromised compared to the old car.

Sounds like Car are right on my thoughts on grip though. I'd been considering switching to the optional, wider, 15" wheels instead on my 14"s, but had pretty much made up my mind to just stay with the standard wheels and just some stickier tyres as half the fun is in being able to break traction a little bit and steering on the throttle when you want to, make the wheels wider as on the model they tested and you lose that even with the new models slight increase in power.

I think you're exactly right too.

I drove a Z4 with great big 18 inch wheels and super wide sticky rubber recently, and the car didn't "handle" at all, just when round corners on rails.

Efficient, but not fun for what is after all a sports car.

[ QUOTE ]

I drove a Z4 with great big 18 inch wheels and super wide sticky rubber recently, and the car didn't "handle" at all, just when round corners on rails.

Efficient, but not fun for what is after all a sports car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough thats what my mum drives, its like most cars now, its handling is superb in a safe sense, lots of grip, neutral to understeer stance, but not as playful as something like the older MX-5's or a real old school hatchback.