I think I have a problem

beez

[ QUOTE ]

I just worked it out, and since I last got paid (3 weeks ago this thursday), I've spent approximately £170 on petrol....

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, third person to say you are insane for not being on the darkside. At your current rate, you are spending more on petrol in 10 weeks than your car is worth. Diesel will cut the bill to roughly two-thirds. Go find yourself a respectable 306 1.9 D Turbo. Early ones start from mere hundreds in poor condition, and looking further higher up, you don't even need £1500 for a decent 1997 facelift. Don't say you cannot afford to buy a newer car - the maths speaks for itself on running costs...

Diesel vs Petrol

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

you are spending more on petrol in 10 weeks than your car is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Subtle! Nice Ian, nice and subtle! yelrotflmao.gifwink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The interesting thing is that the actual figure is only 5 weeks yelrotflmao.gif

I'm a young lad...Diesel is no good for accelerating. Plus I don't want anything lower than a 1.6. Plus I don't like Diesel. Plus I HATE 306s (and most other things with that damn hugging teddy bear badge on the front!)

I'll stick to what I've got. I've been quite good at cutting down recently grin.gif I think that's mostly cos I have £8 to last me a week, and a quater tank of gas.

I think the realisation of £170 in 3 weeks (approx £56 a week) will act as a deterent for a little while anyway - just like the £60 speeding fine did for about 2 weeks (although I tend not to speed at all now since getting the 3 points and fine (and I've started to see why there are speed limits - although I still think most 30's should be 40s, except round schools and strictly resedential roads and that kinda thing - but not main roads IMO), I will occasionally go to 35 or something like that and not get dead scared)

Watch this space in about 2 months when I get a diesel smashfreakB.gif

Well I was going to put 9 weeks first of all - £170 x 3 - but was trying to be kind.

Secondly, if you think 'Diesel is no good for accelerating' then you obviously haven't experienced the legendary PSA 1.9 TD. There is absolutely no way your car is quicker in everyday driving than a base 1997 facelift 306 1.9 Turbo. Sorry!

Thirdly - if you hate diesel, don't moan to us about high petrol bills!

Ian ices_blah.gif

lol. I'll think about it. I just don't want a pug. Are diesel any cheaper to insure? *hopes*

The ACTUAL figure would be 5 weeks, 2 days and 12 hours to get the exact price I paid for the car! (Can you tell I'm VERY bored?)

Edit: 5 weeks, 2 days, 13 horus and 10 minutes!!!

When I was much younger and lived "at home" with my parents I used to drive around a lot cos it was my own space in my own car.

When I moved out I found I didn't need to cos I had my own space.

I still drive for pleasure, when I feel like it and the weather is good. Love getting the roof down and putting some good music on the Bose.

But as I have my own place I don't have the same need to that I did when I was your age Beez.

It's an independance thing.

Hope you never lose the enthusiasm for cars and travelling, but hope you find that there is more to life... 169144-ok.gif

Well I don't know the torque or BHP of either so I can't comment futher.

But you're a little behind the times with your comments.

Have you heard the new V8 TDi going into the A8 is quicker than the petrol version (not a big difference, but enough)?

Diesel isn't going up at all here - it's been 91.9 for a good few weeks, and petrols gone up about 5ppl in about 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, I have to admit defeat now.

A small commercial van (I'm assuming diesel tongue.gif) managed to accelerate far quicker than I did about half an hour ago going from a 40 zone to a 60. Maybe I was just in the wrong gear for accelerating, but I was flat on the floor and he was getting away from me frown.gif It was an 05 reg.

Our expense claim system for mileage is based on the price of fuel. For diesel, there are 5 rates claimable (sp) and they fall into price brackets.

The upper bracket is 87.2p to 91.5p per litre.

Beyond that there is no information available as to what we can claim. I think someone is going to have a re-write the expenses system ASAP. SAUER0421.GIF