VW GOLF Coolant

nicolaparks2000

[ QUOTE ]

Hi

I went to a garage today and the mechanic took a look at it. Anyway he found why i was loosing coolant. There is a hole in the radiator. Gonna have to get some Radseal then get it sorted. I hope this is all it is. Reckons it would cost bout 80 quid for radiator and 60 quid labour.

Nico

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can, you should replace it asap, even if Radweld fixes the problem temporarily. I had a rad go on a Mk2 GTI years ago, used Radweld and ignored it.

One blown head gasket and £600+ in repair bills later. SAUER0421.GIF

HTH

beerchug.gif

I have exactly the same problem on my 130 Passat. It looses about 0.5 litre of G12 every 5000 miles. My local dealer pressure tested it and searched for leaks but could find no problem.

I have also got the problem with the gauge fluctuating. It gets up to 90, then fluctuates between 90 and 70 for a while before reestablishing at 90. Then every about 30 minutes it will drop to 70, fluctuate a little and then go back to 90. This seems to be getting more frequent.

The dealer said that as there is no sign of leakage, it has to be the gaskett. I am dreading it failing as it would be big bucks. There is no white smoke coming out of the exhaust even on start up????

I have checked for leaks externally as well, but can't find anything!

Should I have the gaskett done as a precautionary measure to avoid more serious damage if it fails?

Also

Neil

I think if the head gasket was the problem, the water loss would be far more dramatic than half a litre in 5K miles especially with a deisel and the compression ratios present.

I would first suspect the expansion vessel cap (it's the cheapest place to start too!). After a long run let the engine fully cool down. Remove the cap, and you will be looking for a noise of sucking (not pressure) as the lost water is replaced by air suggesting that the pressure releif mechanism in the cap is working too early.

Mulkbear: I started that thread, it seems to be getting worse since posting that :-(

Vic20: One of our engineers at work (also called Vic) has suggested replacing the cap, but as he is generally clueless I ignore his advice ;-)

seriously I might give it a go as it has to be the cheapest part to replace. Earlier in this thread it does point out that if the gasket is going, the pressure from the cylinder over loads the coolant system, and as necessary the over pressure (and coolant) vents out of the cap.

With the engine not running and cold and with the rad cap off, lift the bonnet and squeeze a big water hose to feel the lack of pressure within. Replace the cap and start the engine. Squeeze the same hose again. If you can feel the pressure starting to rise immediately, before the coolant has had time to heat, your diagnosis is correct and a slight leak of cylinder pressure through the head gasket is pressurising the coolant.