Company car £20k limit - up to 2 years old

NewNiceMrMe

[ QUOTE ]

I know the same can be said of the BMW/Audi's but at least you get a superior level of build too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Build quality difference isn't as big as it used to be.

A half-decent specc'd BMW/Audi is several thousand dearer in any case and list price is a factor you said!

[ QUOTE ]

Bit repmobile like isn't it?

I know the same can be said of the BMW/Audi's but at least you get a superior level of build too.

My brother-in-law has a TDi Ghia too, and he's had quite a few panel fit problems with it and what he calls 'rattle a day' issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mondeos notoriously are but the ST's a bit different looking, a lot rarer and you get a whole load more spec than you would on a similar priced 3 series.

If a Mondeo seems a bit on the 'repmobile' side how about an X type?

Depends whether they're after buying a badge?

[ QUOTE ]

how about an X type?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeek!

As a former X-Type owner (a 2.5 V6 SE with every conceivable option on it) I wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy.

They are, without any doubt, utterly fecking appallingly disgracefully shockingly god damn awful.

It worked when it wanted to. Bits fell off it. Bits that were put back on did mysterious things. The computer was a law unto itself. The drivers door dropped on its hinges more times than a prostitute drops her knickers. I could write reams on the faults, it's habits, it's mood's and the almost instantaneous regret related to the X-Type. I'll save you from it though.

If I recommended an X-Type I couldn't sleep at night.

The 2.0D is slower than a snail in a pot of treacle too, yet manages to make the noise of a Tornado jet on full thrust in a tunnel.

So, I think it's safe to say, that's a no....

Ta anyway!

[ QUOTE ]

I would go for a Volvo S60 D5 (163 bhp), and if you hang on a month or 2 to get the 2006MY, it gets 185 bhp. Nice spec, not 100% sure of the cost though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually....that's already been recommended to them and they've been very impressed too.

Very high standard specification too.

[ QUOTE ]

What max original list price is acceptable? You could get a very nice BMW 5 series for £20k, saloon or estate(touring). www.bmw.co.uk has a good approved used vehicle section.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'd looked at those and I'd say the ceiling for list might be a tad high. Then again, that could be the case of the S60.

That's the problem with the company car - you get penalised tax wise in respect of list price so the driver doesn't benefit from the low price paid used on cars like this. Hence the low tax bracket is a must.

With reference to your original comment RE mileage crunching / comfort etc, i would recommend the Audi.

I am unsure as to what my engine would cost on CO2 tax (privately owned), but i have just covered 1000 miles in 3 days. 30 deg C + on DIS, climate set on 19 deg C and felt as fresh as a daisy yesterday on my return. PS thats combined with 3 days of 6-8 hour meetings inbetween.

I used to own an Avensis (DONT laugh! sekret.gif) and i would have been dead at the end of the week if i still had that!! shocked.gif Obviously, Saabs and BMW's are the same too.....

I am sure he will get a good one, nearly new for under 20K. Mine is a good spec (see sig) and i picked it up at a dealer for £15.5K (£16,995 screen price) with trade in 20 months old 26K miles. I would go for the Avant too - they look better, not quite as rep-mobile.... but i'm biased!!! grin.gif169144-ok.gif

I would recommend the mondeo. My company use them and we havn't had any problems. The standard tdci is as quick as my 3.0 X-Type but still manages 40mpg on the motorway. www.archersofashby.co.uk is the best place to look for them this is just one example of what they have at the moment.

Face Lift Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130PS Ghia X Estate 6-Speed(2005 Model) Stardust Silver Metallic with Ebony Black Alcantara Leather Trim with Variable Climate-Controlled Front Heated Seats. 10161 miles. Power Steering. Electronic Temperature Control-EATC. Remote Double Central Locking with Global Opening\Closing. Rain Sensing Windscreen Wipers. Emergency Brake Assist (EBA). Anti Locking Brakes. Multi-Function Trip Computer. Electric Front and Rear Windows. Auto Sensing Headlamps. Electrically Operated\Heated Door Mirrors. Mirror Puddle Lights. DVD Family Entertainment System. Heated Front Windscreen. Reversing Sensors. Driver, Side and Passenger Airbags. 6006 Radio\6 Disc Front Loading CD Autochanger. Cruise Control. Ford PATS Immobilising System. 17" Alloy Wheels. 24 Months Ford Direct Warranty and RAC Cover. £14,999

Mondeo = repmobile in many eyes though......

Oh yes, i admit to being a bit of a badge snob! sekret.gif

Driven one of them - similar spec, same engine and it was horrid. Good engine / torque / box, but from a drivers perspective, i couldnt stand it! Drove it 100 miles out of Glasgow on way back to manchester and had to give it back to the owner to drive it was that bad! Personal point of view though..... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There's another though...Skoda....?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I'm sure they are very nice cars, but I would never own one for reasons which I'm not ashamed to admit.

They should just get on and change the damn name, stick a new badge on them, and in a couple of years time they could probably be a serious rival to Audi/BMW etc.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

There's another though...Skoda....?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I'm sure they are very nice cars, but I would never own one for reasons which I'm not ashamed to admit.

They should just get on and change the damn name, stick a new badge on them, and in a couple of years time they could probably be a serious rival to Audi/BMW etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - i agree and am not afraid to admit this either. I see a fair few Octavias on the road and know someone who owns one. He always say 'Same car as yours anyway, but £10k cheaper'.

I just say ..... 'Yea'..... 1.gif (Skoda)

I just think, if you could afford an A4 you would have one over a Skoda any day! The Superb is a great car for business, but god, you would get some stick. I used to get called ALLSORTS driving my Avensis...... go on, lets see if anyone can guess!! grin.gif

Answers on a postcard pls...... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, well so far they're impressed with the looks of the Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and there are millions, seemingly, of them available at less than £20k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - there are a lot, but they are still a very well respected brand, understated chic / class unlike a BMW (sorry mate!!!! sekret.gif), reliable and the good thing is you should be able to find a nearly new one with the perfect spec for good money. Original List Price was never OTT either.....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, well so far they're impressed with the looks of the Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and there are millions, seemingly, of them available at less than £20k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - there are a lot, but they are still a very well respected brand, understated chic / class unlike a BMW (sorry mate!!!! sekret.gif),

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to apologise, I agree, in some ways. I wouldn't say a BMW 3-series doesn't have class, because it does.

However, the A4 Avant is rather chic in style, understated, and doesn't suffer the company car common-ness that a 3-series does.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

No it's ok max, i think the 2 doors is a no-no anyway and that list price means the tax would be high for a company car for what they're looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

no worries

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your car looks very nice by the way. Good luck in selling it. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers mate 169144-ok.gif

now less of the the 3 series doesnt have 'class'!! - i'm trying to sell one here! jump.gif

Skoda Octavia TDI Estate. My mum has one (company car). So far its returned around 48mpg, will go up to 70mpg on motorways. And bloody hell does it shift when you plant your right foot to the floor. It also has really strong brakes with plenty of feel. Really well setup suspension too.

There was a day when I would've disowned my mother for 2 things: Driving a diesel and driving a Skoda. But this is a damn good car