Climate control fault?

Sparky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to bring this thread back on topic but the aircon in my diesel rocket ship doesn't have the same problems as yours Sparky.

I know the time delay thingy; when you first start the engine, put it on AUTO and are wanting to heat the car up. The fan only starts picking up speed as the engine heats up.

However if I start up and put it on LO and AUTO it kicks in with icy cold air within 10 seconds on maximum fan speed. Recently at work, if I come back to my car and I'm wearing overalls etc, I can start the engine and put the aircon on LO and AUTO. By the time I have took my overalls off, changed shoes etc and put them in the boot, the car is icy cold for when I get in it (2 minutes max?).

I know sometimes the aircon seems to have a mind of its own but I would get yours looked at as it doesn't seem right to me.

Hmmmm, now I'm back to thinking it's not working properly.

It's only "failed" twice, both on extremely hot days. 31 degrees and 29 degrees.

It's basically doing what it does when the engine is cold on a cold day and I'm asking for heat, but the opposite.

It always works in the mornings, it's the afternoons when I'm leaving work that it's done it.

Best take it to the stealers..... crazy.gif

On Tuesday I came back to my car in full PPE (overalls, hard hat, boots, gloves etc) and was absolutely lathered.

I started the car and put the aircon on LO and AUTO and went get get changed and put the gear in the boot.

2/3 minutes later I got into the car and it was icy cold. The display was reading 34.5°C blush.gif

IMO it shouldn't make any difference how hot it is as to whether the air con works. I would definitely get it to the stealers.

Unless you're still trollied from last night and need to sober up first. coffee.gif

Agree with Milo. The heating needs the engine to warm before it blows, but the air con should work straight away...

Could be a sensor failure, not telling the controller how hot the car is inside accurately? Does it work ok if you manually override it? (ie put the temp to a low number, or even LO, then turn the fan speed up yourself)?

Ari, it does work, the failure is the system controlling the fan speed.

So, very hot day, get into car and switch on engine. Air con comes on, and very cold air immediately comes out, but at the lowest speed setting. If I manually up this to max, it blasts it out.

So there is no problem with the air cooling side of things. It's the system not upping the speed at all automatically.

If I set the temp to high, warm air comes out, set it to cold, cold air comes out - but all at the lowest possible speed setting (1 led on the power/fan speed meter display).

After a short while (approx 10 mins) of crawling through traffic and then onto the motorway it kicks in and we're back to normal again.

Does it sound like a fault then? crazy.gif

On another note, when i start my car, the Air Con unit **sometimes** emits fast clicking sounds from the control unit itself - is this common??

It can do it for 1 second or 6-7 seconds - whatever it feels like. Just wondered if all ok - i.e is this a temp sensor adjusting or something?..... Under Audi warranty still.

Comments? Ta 169144-ok.gif