Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well from my experience you need major bucks to keep the R32 on the road!:

- new sat nav

- new cd player

- new rear diff (£3.5k)

- 3 exhausts

- 1 new cat

My point was not really this though. As smudge said earlier, when spending 30k plus on a Golf you have to consider the fact you can buy in to something with more edge for similar money. When I bought my R (£26.5k if I remember correctly with all the bits imported) this was about as much bang as you could get for your buck. Proper new performance with all the comforts of a BM for under 30k. It looked the bollocks, sounded the bollocks and had (and still has) cred which gains interest wherever you are. I can’t say the new golf achieves this, and from the sounds of it for most of you don't either. But I could have got round that, and possibly ordered one anyway if it wasn't for the awful service and constant going wrongs with my car. Now I just want to stay the hell away from VW (and possibly Audi which is very very sad!)

[ QUOTE ]

Well, if I have £30k to spend on a car it will go an an S4 Avant (s/h) before it goes anywhere near an R32.

Some might say the S4 won't offer the drive of the R32, but I need a load lugger / space and as I can get that plus some 4WD and driving fun out of an S4 then I can't see me throwing my hard earn ££s at an R32 which I'm not 100% sure about.

£30k is top money to spend on a Golf!!!!!!+++

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to agree with both of those Six - although my other half drives the estate car, so it would have to be a B6 S4 saloon with the 4.2 V8, with a brief visit to AmD to get it up to 395 bhp...

Hang on, can't do that. We're back onto standard versus modified. New versus second hand... suicide.gif

Just thought I would agree about the safety net of a warrenty when comparing R32 to a CSL - its not a fair comparison.

The warranty on my mini cooper S ran out about two months ago, during three years of ownership I have managed to rack up nearly £6k in warranty claims - The car was never raced on a track, or abused, and total mileage is just over 30k.

I am replaceing the mini for a car I know will have a three year warranty, and will provide just as much fun as the Mini - there were a lot of warrenty claims with the Mini but I still think the Mini is a great car.... I just want something new that will be just as fun and with the all important three year warrenty -

I am trying to negotiate with the dealer on a servicing package. A lot of manufacturers offer this deal - with the mini i paid £100 and i get 5 years free servicing, subaru, volvo and a handful of others are opting for this. Its about time we all put pressure on the sales chappies at your dealers. The servicing package on the Mini has worked brilliantly.

Hi jimbor, wow £6k on claims that's major! Just shows you about cars and no warranty, scary stuff indeed. That 5 year deal on services is such a good idea, VW will never go for it ROLLEY~14.GIF They only do things that are generally bad for us customers grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't the VW warranty currently only 2 years on Golfs ?

[/ QUOTE ]Nope... all UK cars whould come with 3 years warranty from new.

First 2 years are paid for VW in Germany and the 3rd year the dealer picks up the bill.

Same with Audi etc.

Unless its changed?

Riz confused.gif

Not sure why your complaining about £32299 - you dont have to add in every conceivable optional extra....... most of which will become null and void when it comes to pricing in three years time.

When i got my mini cooper s i paid £15.5k for it, there was one in the showroom same engine same model for £27.5k - the customer had ticked every option possible, saw it on the forecourt last month for £13k - mine is still worth £11k (both cars have similar mileage).

I have ordered the Mark v R32 and to be fair the bog standard spec is still pretty impressive, rally seats, metallic paint and maybe the winter pack is all that is needed - anything else and you may as well be lighting a fire with £20 notes

just try and think what everyone else will spec theirs at!

Personally if I was getting an R32 2nd hand I'd want:

Leather (not sure whether the recaros or the normal)

Metallic

3 door

DSG

That's about it, perhaps sat nav, but not sure if that would raise the 2nd hand price.

When I spec a car I put in the big options that I "need" and then see what else I can afford, but tbh I'd rather spend an extra £1k and be chuffed to bits, rather than skimp on a few options and regret it for 3 years!!!

[ QUOTE ]

So what options do people think it may be worth having when the time comes to sell?

At the moment I'm only thinking of getting 5 doors (£500), metallic paint (£335) and maybe the seat upgrade (£945).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with those two as a minimum sensible spec - but with 3 doors maybe plus maybe Winter pack for the bum warmers.

[ QUOTE ]

For me, 3 door, Blue metallic, Seats, winter pack, Radio improved, 6CD's and not DSG (it's around 50 kilos heavier). Ah! and yes, for the wheels, the CH BBS.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen to that wheel change 169144-ok.gif

Anyone know if the £395 for the CD changer in the front armrest includes the arm rest? Or is it extra as listed for another £120 or so??

Is the improved (over the shite oem) hifi worth it really??