Towbar

Snoopy

• 6 months later...

I know you posted this a while ago but I have just fitted a towbar to my 2006 GTI. After a fair search found TOWEQUIPE who were very helpful (www.towequipe.co.uk). Supplied and delivered detachable Westfalia towbar (same as dealer fitted option)and wiring relay for £230. Then went to dealer and bought replacement lower rear bumper section which has a preformed cutout with a detachable cover (£49). The whole lot took about 2 1/2 hours to complete and saved over £200 (+fitting) from the dealer. Just in case you are wondering it's a boat I tow NOT A CARAVAAAAAGHN.

If anybody is as sad as me and needs some help let me know.

Cheers

Speedybob

I had a detachable tow hitch on my last car - Audi Avant Sport - Brilliant idea! Once it's detached the electrics swung up under the rear valance and the hitch went inside the spare wheel well - well smart.

If ya gotta tow - ya gotta tow.

I found it more effective than parking beepers an' all!! shocked.gif

• 2 months later...

Basically the electrical systems of the car are controlled by a system called CANBUS it controls what the wires do and monitors quite a few systems. Think of it abit like a computer network wires can be multiplexed so do more than one job. http://www.semiconductors.bosch.de/en/20/can/index.asp

On somecars like some mercs for example if a lightbulb goes its not as simple as just replacing the bulb you have to reset the part of the canbus system by computer to reactivate the power to the bulb.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Do a program called VAGCOM that can control and alter what the canbus signals do and so change certain things.

The thing is depending on the maker CANBUS can monitor light bulbs etc and so hacking into the wiring in the boot to send to a towbar may upset the values measured and so log a fault on canbus system and upset things, i say may.