Aussie police - new patrol cars

MOSE

Not bad at all. Essential for long straight pursuits!

The Aussie police have had quite a few cool motors in their time - My favourite being the Ford Falcon XB. My Auntie had a yellow one that had been imported into the UK. It was the biggest, most pointless thing on the road, but it was soo cool to little 7-year-old me, and is a reason partly why I love cars so much.

623353-0112mmff_aussie04.jpg

post-7336-13791433548_thumb.jpg

Interesting tidbit for you.

The Police in Australia supposedly have an agnostic view of car manufacturers, so you'll see unmarked and marked vehicles made by the local Mitsubishi, Toyota, Ford and GM concerns.

General Duties cars seem to be mainly Ford Falcons, though the % of GMH Commodores in this role is quite high. The new Ford Territories (the AWD wagon that Audi helped Ford build) is becoming a frequent sight - and looks good in full "warpaint".

However, for traffic and highway patrol - though you see some very evil Ford Falcons (either the XR6 Turbo or XR8), the great majority nowadays are GMH Commodore SS sedans - as they apparently are seen as quicker and more agile than the Fords.

Just to confuse the issue, the Monaros would be used more as "show ponies" I'd suspect, just like the few Subaru WRX STi's that are around in full markings.

The police do things like use Monaros and other higher-spec sports cars, but they tend to be unmarked, or have the flashers camouflaged so that the average motorist doesn't twig.

There was a period of time in the very late '80s early '90s where the freeways between Newcastle in the north and Melbourne in the south would be haunted by all sorts of lethally fast exotica - all designed to catch the speeding motorist. They even had a Porsche 928 in service!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

QldMonaroinside.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably the angle of the photo, but the gear leaver looks surrounded! How do you reach it?

[/ QUOTE ]

WELL SPOTTED THAT MAN!!!

If I am not mistaken this car has a blooding Auto Gearbox in it. I have never heard of a LS1 5.7L Monaro with an auto box in it.....thats criminal. Pardon the pun!

My god they've just made the thing lazier than it already was! GOOD SPOT!