R32 Regrets?

spook

Do any recent Mark V R32 owners have any regrets about getting their new car?

I'm particularly thinking of those who have changed (upgraded?) from other marques, e.g. Audi, BMW, and was wondering what they miss about their former car compared to the R32 - what's best about the R32 and what could it do better?

Reason I ask is that there are so many things about my current wheels (Audi S3) that I would miss if I "took the plunge" (e.g. prestige badge, it's paid for) and was wondering whether the R32 would be so much better that I'd quickly get over it!

(Note to self - prepare for deluge of replies smile.gif)

Mate, I had a tuned 287 bhp S3 which was the best car i had ever owned. Had it from 2000 for 5 years. Absolutely phenominal machine... Till Now... You wont regret getting the MkV R:- It is capable of doing all things. From the moment you turn the key in the ignition it makes you smile in a way the S3 never could. It's much more involving to drive, maybe doesnt feel as though it has the same initial pace as the S (well at least compared to my tuned one) but believe me its an illusion. The stock R is very quick, and is so much more fun to drive... Interior is nice, though not of the same qual as the S3, but everything else about it, from the big purr of that 3.2 6 pot to the way it glides over the roughest of surfaces, being planted on motorways and ultra responsive and more rewarding on the B roads. Enjoy... 169144-ok.gif

I have changed from a TT Coupe that I still loved and still even after it being out 6/7 years I would get out and walk away from the car, I would HAVE to turn around and take one last look because of the feel good and looks factor.

Now moved to a MK5 R32 (although only had 3/4 days now). I was very dubious about swapping to VW with my brand snobbery etc, and not being overly keen on the MK5 Golf at first.

But I can say that so far I am more than pleased with the purchase. Economy is lower atm as not even run it yet, although TT was juicy at first if I remember. I had the TT running Revo and 265Bhp and I do kinda miss the turbo kick (been in turbo cars for 10 years) but the class of the build and the fact that the MK5 platform seems way more modern and capable in handling and drivability and features etc.

It is just a step up in a car generation you will tell this by the looks, build, drive and also dont forget "sound of engine" it makes the TT now feel old (never thought I would think this as as I said before I loved the TT.

I hope this gives you a small insight of a person feelings after a Brand/car change.

While working on site at my current place of work I've switched car from a 'Boxster S', to a 'Mini Cooper S', to a 'MK5 GTI', to a 'MK5 R32', the only down side is some muppet here said the other day..."ha ha, You've got a golf, what happened to your Porsche?"....

fekr.gif

The R32 is not quiet as fast/flash as the Boxster, but still makes you smile everytime your drive it. It also doesn't get people saying "He drives a Porsche, we must be paying him too much" (to the uneducated, the R32 looks just like the fleet of company Jetta's in the carpark).

Lee

You're joking right ..?

I had a 2001 S3 (bog standard) for 2.5 years which just cannot compare to the MkV R32.

The build quality is the same, apart from the dash in the Audi which in my opinion is still top of the shop. I mean the black mterial and shape not the red dials and computer.

The MkV R32 certainly feels a more confident ride and gives the impression of a far more subtle power delivery.

The R32's turn of speed is completely deceptive, nothing to think about to get it over the ton.

Totally awesome, and stealthy.

1.gif

[ QUOTE ]

While working on site at my current place of work I've switched car from a 'Boxster S', to a 'Mini Cooper S', to a 'MK5 GTI', to a 'MK5 R32', the only down side is some muppet here said the other day..."ha ha, You've got a golf, what happened to your Porsche?"....

fekr.gif

The R32 is not quiet as fast/flash as the Boxster, but still makes you smile everytime your drive it. It also doesn't get people saying "He drives a Porsche, we must be paying him too much" (to the uneducated, the R32 looks just like the fleet of company Jetta's in the carpark).

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes me feel real good, as I sold a Boxster 2.5 for the R32 which is due in about 4 weeks, can't wait 169144-ok.gif

I have had a Boxster in the past as well, and I think the R32 is a faster car, although I've only had it 4 days. The demo car I drove with spirit certainly pulled way better than the Boxster, although the handling was maybe not quite so direct.

can't wait to get the new one run in.

[ QUOTE ]

Mate, I had a tuned 287 bhp S3 which was the best car i had ever owned. Had it from 2000 for 5 years. Absolutely phenominal machine... Till Now... You wont regret getting the MkV R:- It is capable of doing all things. From the moment you turn the key in the ignition it makes you smile in a way the S3 never could. It's much more involving to drive, maybe doesnt feel as though it has the same initial pace as the S (well at least compared to my tuned one) but believe me its an illusion. The stock R is very quick, and is so much more fun to drive... Interior is nice, though not of the same qual as the S3, but everything else about it, from the big purr of that 3.2 6 pot to the way it glides over the roughest of surfaces, being planted on motorways and ultra responsive and more rewarding on the B roads. Enjoy... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very helpful to my decision making process to hear from former S3 owners. I agree entirely with your sentiments about the S3, and I also agree with what has been said about its interior - the interior of the R32 is the biggest minus for me after the beautiful S3 interior, and the biggest single factor that is making me hesitate. Or am I being too picky?

My S3 has now been with me for nearly 6 years (the longest I've ever owned any car) and I've become very attached to it, so it will be a wrench to finally say goodbye. Going from Audi to VW will definitely be a leap of faith for me, but the lure of the V6 may be the one factor that clinches it. That and the DSG gearbox....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very helpful to my decision making process to hear from former S3 owners. I agree entirely with your sentiments about the S3, and I also agree with what has been said about its interior - the interior of the R32 is the biggest minus for me after the beautiful S3 interior, and the biggest single factor that is making me hesitate. Or am I being too picky?

My S3 has now been with me for nearly 6 years (the longest I've ever owned any car) and I've become very attached to it, so it will be a wrench to finally say goodbye. Going from Audi to VW will definitely be a leap of faith for me, but the lure of the V6 may be the one factor that clinches it. That and the DSG gearbox....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just traded up from a Mk4 r32 to a 3.2 dsg TT ECLIPSe.gif, to say I am well pleased with it is an massive understatement! I have now owned a 225 S3, Mk 4 R and now the TT, stick with an Audi you no it makes sense notworthy.gif

dave_uk

Well, the general consensus on here is that the MkV R is a much more stealthy but more rewarding car to drive. I'll stick by that smile.gif

The interior was slightly better in the S, but only in terms of dash quality. The dials and set up on the R is much better tho. Big roomy cockpit you can spend hours in and a stealth 'W' car feel that is great. The most inmportant thing for me is the car has bags more character, 'soul' as it were than the S3, and makes me smile tons more each time i drive it. The S was very good at showing you how quick it could be, but always felt very detatched. Totally different in the R.

As for sticking to Audi's, I would have gone for the new S3 had they stuck to the original plan of a 3.2 6 potter with 280bhp. But alas, it will be a 4 cylinder turbo/Supercharger motor which will always lack the soul of a good 3.2 V6. As for the 3.2 TT, its a great car, friend has one as a fleet car and it drives great. Still prefer the R though based on the GTi underpinnings. Also one last thing... How many TT's do you see on the road nowadays... ten a penny (shape, not engine wise). How many Mk V R's have you seen so far.... exactly wink.gif

Just be careful of your new or old motors tho, my S3 got taken from my locked garage last Nov. Two barstards came with a tow truck and took it away without getting the keys when i was on holiday. Be vigilant. FIREdevil.gifopenfire.gif

Following on from the notes made about the S3 dash compared to the R32 MkV - One of the first things I liked about the R compared to the S3 was the fact that you actually see different colours at night!

I've got the highline computer on the DSG so there's the red computer read out just like the S3 but with many more options. You also have the blue CD player and silver surround black & white dials with the R32 blue needles. The whole lot looks great at night.

The standard leather seats in the R are (even though they don't look as cool) far more comfortable than the Recaros in my old S3.

They are different cars totally, how many 4 door S3's did you see...?

Mind you - I suppose you're not really going to get many people in this forum bashing the MkV R32 are you?

The thing I like about hte Boxster was the central rev counter, and the digital speed display. Put those in the r32 and it would be excellent.

I struggle to see the rev counter around the wheel at the 2K mark, and as I'm running in I'm looking at the rev counter more than the speedo at the moment. Speedo is not obvious to me yet with a quick glance, eyes off road for too long.

Just bought a new R32 5dr.

I waited 5 months for a Boxster only for it to have an unrectifiable problem which the dealer could not fix so I rejected it after 1 week.

That left me with no car so managed to track down an in stock R32 at Listers Evesham, collected a week later - had to pay list though, is that normal?

Anyway, FANTASTIC car - the best i've ever owned IMHO.

Porsche = pile of over priced poo, Porsche build quality is a myth - just take a look at any Porsche forum.

R32 = Fantastic car for 16k less than the boxster (it was an S) and almost as quick.

[ QUOTE ]

Just bought a new R32 5dr.

I waited 5 months for a Boxster only for it to have an unrectifiable problem which the dealer could not fix so I rejected it after 1 week.

That left me with no car so managed to track down an in stock R32 at Listers Evesham, collected a week later - had to pay list though, is that normal?

Anyway, FANTASTIC car - the best i've ever owned IMHO.

Porsche = pile of over priced poo, Porsche build quality is a myth - just take a look at any Porsche forum.

R32 = Fantastic car for 16k less than the boxster (it was an S) and almost as quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more with you. Once you have driven an R for some reason every other car I can think of seems overpriced 169144-ok.gif

I had an S3 from Jan 2000 - Feb 2002 when I got another S3 until Nov 2003 when I got a Mark 4 R 32 and I have had a Boxster from Jan 2004.

The R32 and S3 are nice but there essentially family hatch backs with big engines, and so are a compromise. The Boxster is a sports car and was dessigned as a sports car so its more tiring on journeys, but is more rewarding to drive on the limit. I have also test driven the new R32 and my review is here.

I would take the Porsche anyday over the old R32, S3 or new R32 you cant beat the handling, feel and balance especially with the top down, but if I couldnt have the Porsche I would have the S3, followed by the Mark 4 R32, then the new R32 last.

Each to their own though.

I have just taken delivery (5 days ago) of my Blue, 3 door, manual R32, after previously owning an Impreza WRX (Prodrive Upgrade, 265bhp) for three years. So far I love the car. A previous post said this was a new generation of car over some others which are now a few years old, and I could not agree more.

The Impreza interior was always shamefully cheap, but light, to help the speed I assume?! Moving to a German built car, really makes this apparent. I loved the Impreza, but turbo lag, and regular gear changes on many roads to keep the turbo spinning was sometimes a pain on the motorway etc.

Just taken the R32 for it's first motorway trip, and hardly moved out of 6th gear, yet still had the torque to pull away smoothly. Averaged 29mpg as well over a 120 mile trip, which is not bad compared to the Subaru.

Finally, I always loved the warbly sound of the Subaru, and didn't think the new one could compete, however the sound of the R32, is just awesome, and I have rarely had the stereo on yet!!

So overall, I have absolutely no regrets about the R32, it is an awesome car, and as it is still quite rare on our roads, it attracts a lot of attention from fellow drivers grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just traded up from a Mk4 r32 to a 3.2 dsg TT ECLIPSe.gif, to say I am well pleased with it is an massive understatement! I have now owned a 225 S3, Mk 4 R and now the TT, stick with an Audi you no it makes sense notworthy.gif

dave_uk

[/ QUOTE ]

Traded up? Same engine, and the TT looks like a hot cross bun on 4 wheels !!

As long as your happy mate i suppose tongue.gif