Future CSL Values...

Woppum

I'm interested in the thread if that helps..

I think it's very interesting what Woppum is trying to do, by having an awesome car as a stopgap for two years. It makes sense to me that he'd want a new M3, but also that he doesn't want an R32 forever.. The idea of a CSL as a stopgap is IMO quite smart & I'm interested in how dealers & the like work out how much the CSL will cost.

ok lets atart throwing some ballpark figures in the pot and see where it gets us.

First, we need a full spec, age, condition and mileage - so who wants to start it off, when we have this info we can all guess willy nilly the value (private or dealer ?).

What is your criteria Wopps ?

Well for what i can gather it looks like in the 3-4 yrs wait, I will loose approx 10-15k on the CSL. I think I now know enough to make my decision. I will keep you all informed don't you worry.

But Fatcat to answer you info, I think I will probably do around 30-40k miles in the time I have with the car. But it all depends on what is happening at work. If many shops crop up and I have to do some serious travelling it could be more. If my work will be more office based or im travelling with other buyers in their vehicles the mileage will be less. To make an average lets say 35k.

Fleet have put me in contact with Park Lane BMW who apparently do a lot of work with the company I work at. They are going to phone me some time next week and give me some sort of projections. I may well go down the finance route and get a guaranteed value at the end of X years. I will then try to sell the car for more than what BMW are offering me and see-if I can make a bit extra and pay off the deficit. I will know more when i discuss it with them next week 169144-ok.gif

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

FFS just buy the car and put us out of our misery, Riz.

Oh sorry, its Woppum this time. smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I think you`ll find I never did any threads about coming to a decision... I just made the choice and stuck by it... tongue.gif Less talk and more action is my motto.. ok, it doesnt always work like that but I try and keep focused wink.gif

Now back on topic....

Life is too short, make a choice and do it..... money comes and goes and we cant take it with us... enjoy for today and take each day as it comes....

I would personally keep the R32 and get the new M3!

Riz 169144-ok.gif

I think it is just plain irresponsible to make a purchase without considering how much its going to cost you. But maybe I was just brought up to have respect and an understanding of money, but as I said neglecting the to consider the financial side of buying a CSL is just plain irresponsible, no matter how much fun it is.

[ QUOTE ]

I think it is just plain irresponsible to make a purchase without considering how much its going to cost you. But maybe I was just brought up to have respect and an understanding of money, but as I said neglecting the to consider the financial side of buying a CSL is just plain irresponsible, no matter how much fun it is.

[/ QUOTE ] 169144-ok.gif

Riz laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think it is just plain irresponsible to make a purchase without considering how much its going to cost you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and with your enquires through 'fleet' you should be able to make that decision in a few days.

All you have to do Wopps is find the right CSL and find if feckin' pronto !

Otherwise as said previously, your perfect CSL will be slipping through your hands as each day passes.

Its a buyers market and with your (or fleets) financial clout, you should bag a bargain.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Life is too short, make a choice and do it.....

I would personally keep the R32 and get the new M3!

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said that man with the Astra 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ] jump.gif

He`s right though Woppum, you`ll find it harder and harder to pickup a half-decent CSL as time passes.. I passed on the CSL idea awhile back but swiftly moved on.......

Riz pengy.gif

There seems to be more cars coming out every week actually. If you look on Pistohead there are loads of cars, all with similar mileage. Im not worried, there are always cars to source and they are certainly not getting any more expensive! I think its more important to make the right decision first... But wether I ahould get the CSL is not here nor there remember, lets stay on topic. 169144-ok.gif

I think we can conclude that to have a guess at what a CSL would be worth in 2 years time is pretty difficult indeed.... so I think the question now is if you want to keep the R32 for another 2 years and save up more, or buy a CSL! Like I said, youve already put a deposit down for the new M3, why get the CSL and lose money on it?

Riz 169144-ok.gif

But 2 years is a long time, I have had 8 cars in the last 2 years.

Just buy the fecking thing and enjoy it. Buy it right and if you don't like it sell it on, at least it will be out of your system. If you do like it then keep it till the new M3 arrives, it is an easy decission to make. smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There seems to be more cars coming out every week actually. If you look on Pistohead there are loads of cars, all with similar mileage. Im not worried, there are always cars to source and they are certainly not getting any more expensive! I think its more important to make the right decision first... But wether I ahould get the CSL is not here nor there remember, lets stay on topic. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a few questions for you to ponder/answer ;

1. Is your R32 currently for sale ?

2. Do you have funding requirements, and quotations, for purchasing a CSL ?

3. How many CSL's for sale have you been to see/drive/negotiate on ?

4. How much would you pay for a M3 CSL now ?

5. What colour and spec does it need to be for you to buy ?

6. What is the value to you for a M3 CSL from now until the E92 M3 comes out in late 2007/early 2008 ?

7. What constitutes a "good" CSL/deal and what is a "bad" CSL/deal ??

Cheers,

Gareth.

[ QUOTE ]

I think we can conclude that to have a guess at what a CSL would be worth in 2 years time is pretty difficult indeed.... so I think the question now is if you want to keep the R32 for another 2 years and save up more, or buy a CSL! Like I said, youve already put a deposit down for the new M3, why get the CSL and lose money on it?

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a M3 CSL is a proper car Riz !!!!

Plus I guarantee that it will depreciate hugely less than the rate of the RS4 over the next 2 years.... Flush.gif

Gareth, forget Woppum for a minute as he will still be trying to decide if he should get rid of the R32 when the new M3 arrives in 3 years time! smile.gif

If I were to buy this car......

2004 CSL, 20k miles £34k

And finance say £32k of it, and use it as a second car so only put another 20k on it over 4 years, what sort of final payment would I be able to get away with. Not worried about guaranteed buy backs at the end etc. but what would be the highest balloon?

I would keep an eye on the prices and if they were dropping faster than my payments I would bung a couple of grand in every few months.

Just trying to work out if I could buy one as a second car or not.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus I guarantee that it will depreciate hugely less than the rate of the RS4 over the next 2 years.... Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Now now no need to get all shirty.... laugh.gif and what constitutes are "proper! car as you so nicely put it... grin.gif

I think that you`ll find from list the CSL has taken a big hit, remember it was 60k new if I recall correctly.... tongue.gif

I did actually consider a CSL but just didnt really need a more track focused car with hardly any toys! The CSL is a very raw car when compared to the RS4 but I felt it wasnt for me... prefered something abit more newer with quattro.....

Riz

[ QUOTE ]

Gareth, forget Woppum for a minute as he will still be trying to decide if he should get rid of the R32 when the new M3 arrives in 3 years time! smile.gif

If I were to buy this car......

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to say.....

Or one from you if you have any available of course!! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Now now no need to get all shirty.... laugh.gif and what constitutes are "proper! car as you so nicely put it... grin.gif

I think that you`ll find from list the CSL has taken a big hit, remember it was 60k new if I recall correctly.... tongue.gif

I did actually consider a CSL but just didnt really need a more track focused car with hardly any toys! The CSL is a very raw car when compared to the RS4 but I felt it wasnt for me... prefered something abit more newer with quattro.....

Riz

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid £61k for my first CSL....even though I try to forget that smashfreakB.gif

Joking aside the RS4 is a very good car...but it's not ever going to be in the same league as the CSL except on a damp track or road and in the hands of an average to fair driver. The CSL has lost the majority of it's (wrong price when new....as we all know now..) value, but it's now found a real level of stability in the market. Pound for pound I think it's best real drivers on the market - providing it's a good one and you don't do daft mileages.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Riz

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid £61k for my first CSL....even though I try to forget that smashfreakB.gif

Joking aside the RS4 is a very good car...but it's not ever going to be in the same league as the CSL except on a damp track or road and in the hands of an average to fair driver. The CSL has lost the majority of it's (wrong price when new....as we all know now..) value, but it's now found a real level of stability in the market. Pound for pound I think it's best real drivers on the market - providing it's a good one and you don't do daft mileages.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with you 100% that pound for pound it is probably the best drivers car on the market value wise....... but again they are two very different cars at the end of the day.....

Im sure Woppum will enjoy the CSL, more so than the R32! Just a question of if he is going to wait for the new M3 or go for a CSL to fill the gap....

Riz 169144-ok.gif