Newely built houses = small garages

david_d

When we moved into our house, i thought great, triple garage! Then i was told the owner had the middle of the three garages made wider to accomodate his Roller, but like an idiot stole the space from the other to garages!! So the XK and my 330 are a tight squeeze and S-Class goes in middleas its widest! Anyone know if the new XK is wider than old one, as we are just in proces of buying one and not thought about its width!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember speaking to a young chap with a few years old Porsche 928S which was his dream car. He was telling me that he lived in a fairly modest modern house with usual tiny garage, but there was no way he was leaving the Porsche outside.

Now the Porsche 928 is a pretty wide car, and the doors are long too so it wasn't actually possible to open the doors wide enough to actually get out of the car.

So wht he'd do is drive it in, pop the tailgate (the 928S was a hatchback), climb through the car between the front seats and over the back seats (do 928's have back seats? I think so...) through the boot and out of the tailgate. Shut tailgate, lock car, shut garage door, lock garage. Reverse the process to get car out. grin.gif

DSCN3970.JPG

[ QUOTE ]

I have a old cuddly toy that belonged to our 3 year old hanging from the garage roof. I ignore the front sensors when driving in. The reason being that the cuddly toy is lined up perfectly - so the moment it touches the windscreen I know that the car is exactly 1cm away from the wall and that the garage door will close okay behind it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Until your wife ties a few knots in the string to get you back for forgetting valentines day........

*crunch

Ian

Current house has detached garage big enough for all the crap we havent yet unpacked, enough room for me to park the Monaro and open the drivers door without any problem at all. Have just put up shelving to the three walls and there is still room to walk around the car without killing yourself on the shelving. Most of the crap I have now housed in the rafters, so does help a bit with more room.

When my family first moved in to are house it only had a single garage, but in 2001 we got a large extension put on the house, now the garage is around 9 meters wide by 7 meters long. We keep a full range of tools, work bench (with vice), Compressor, Welding equipment, Ford XR3i, and a load of other crap. But with two technicians in the house there is normally another car of some description in the garage as well. Me and my old man both look after the garage it has just been freshly painted in my favorite colours red floors and white walls, it cleaner than my work bay at work. ooo.gif

I've only got a mk4 golf and I have to fold the mirrors in to get it through the door. Once inside I can't open the door far enough to get out unless I do my Starsky & Hutch impression. suicide.gif

We're looking at moving in a few months and one of the must have's is a double garage.