Convertible Owners - Your Best & Worst Experiences

NewNiceMrMe

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long story. Got is for 1100 quid (yes, honest, I have a receipt etc, Omi/Jon have rubber stamped it for Scumball already), loads of history, new hood, new tyres, decent stereo, 123k miles, 7 owners, years MOT, but lots of rust. Fleabay bargain really, bought unseen from a bloke in Leicester, turned up to find he was a real enthusiast, and was only selling as he had found an N plate for 3k ish, so didn't mind letting this one go for peanuts. Mechnically its great, few bits of dead trim, runs fine (did a ton on an *ahem* private road), no probs, bargain !!!

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I certainly received more abuse when I had the M3 Convertible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still have respect for you sticking two fingers up and having the balls to order the M3 Cab in Imola with matching leather. bowdown.gif

Only driven one open top car, an Elise S1 back in 2000, but thankfully I didn't have to deal with Joe Public on that occasion!

Been in a couple though, notably [shortly after the Lotus] cruising down Bedford High Street on a gorgeous August afternoon in a DB7 Vantage Volante - a fairly new machine back then. The stares and looks were all of appreciation! Toby says you do tend to get thumbs up more often than thumbs down (or middle finger etc) in an Aston Martin being British built. Leaving London during his first spin in the 9, a guy walking along the pavement with his girlfriend just started bowing down to the car as they were at some traffic lights!

The abuse given to you guys [and girls!!] must surely be jealousy?

Stories of Ferraris being spat on are not nice. Whilst it sadly seems in the UK most flash metal all-too-often attracts the wrong kind of attention nowdays, it is interesting to hear you were abused most Chris in the MX5s! Out of all the 'small' convertibles on sale - and ignoring the hardcore Elise for a moment - the MX is probably the least hairdresser like. Perhaps Joe Public in their follow-like-sheep Vectra doesn't realise the depth of its abilities.

People deliberately washing their windscreens in front of you at the lights etc is pathetic behaviour. Truck drivers chucking coffee at you is a bit steep though!! At least when you are in an Aston, Elise or Chimaera etc [over a more 'hairdresser' cabrio] you can make a hasty exit.

Perhaps the A4 Cabs are viewed as more grown up and mature, hence don't come in for so much stick? Obviously I'm biased on this one though!

Ian

I once got called a "Tw@t" by a taxi drive when i was out on road test in a Beetle convertible and in the same car the next day i got called a "F~cking Poof" by a old bloke with a walking stick, Granted it was a Beige beetle with a beige hood and matching leather seats.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Shame about the looks when the roof is up coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, looks awful doesn't it? SPericani2.gif

ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't go quite as far as awful, but it certainly comes second place to the S4/A4 Saloon with the top up Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the first person I've ever heard criticise the looks of the A4 cab. It's a gorgeous car. smashfreakB.gif

And I don't like you anymore. coffee.gif

grin.gif

Generally, the MR2 has attracted admiration - particularly from the neighbour across the road. However, the neighbour on one side (a middle-aged, single female) described it as a 'tart magnet'!

During the past week, I was driving sedately along some south oxfordshire country roads, top down, wife in the passenger seat, when a woman in a silver Astra (LHD) came hurtling up behind me in a 30 limit. At the NSL sign, I accelerated away to something in the region of 60mph. As I entered the next village with 30 limit, said Astra was glued to my tail once more. As the road straightened, the Astra accelerated past me, up to about 45-50mph, and out of sight.

I cannot say for sure, whether it was the same silver Astra which was involved in the accident in another village a little further down the road!

[ QUOTE ]

During the past week, I was driving sedately along some south oxfordshire country roads, top down, wife in the passenger seat, when a woman in a silver Astra (LHD) came hurtling up behind me in a 30 limit. At the NSL sign, I accelerated away to something in the region of 60mph. As I entered the next village with 30 limit, said Astra was glued to my tail once more. As the road straightened, the Astra accelerated past me, up to about 45-50mph, and out of sight.

I cannot say for sure, whether it was the same silver Astra which was involved in the accident in another village a little further down the road!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you stopped an had a chat with the police. shocked.gif

Ian

Well it wasn't my worst experience. But a few years back I was next to an Audi TT roadster at the lights.

Beutifull summer day. The TT was only a day old (think it was the 2nd of March). Silver metal glistening in the sun. Pristine black leather. Proud owner with his GF in the passenger seat. New car smell interspersed with a fresh summer breeze.

Bet they were thinking life couldn't get much better.

Untill a bird above decided to take the biggest dump I've ever seen. I couldn't help but laugh. Poor guy. Poor, poor guy.

Birds just seem to love silver cars. Its like a big toilet sign to them. I know, mine get poo on regularly. I would really think twice about getting a silver convertible.

Loved my Z3 - and never had a bad experience in it, apart from folks referring to it as a womans car ( wtf ? ). went out in my mates Ferrari 360 Spider for a couple of hours on a sunny day last friday - absolute dogs bits. You get 2 types of looks - one where folks have a good look, and the other where they see the car then pretend they haven't !! Attracted a good crowd outside when parked up at the bank, and also got let out at junctions, which doesn't happen much in my M5.

I've got a photo of his car in my phone but have no idea at all how to post it !

[ QUOTE ]

Loved my Z3 - and never had a bad experience in it, apart from folks referring to it as a womans car ( wtf ? ). went out in my mates Ferrari 360 Spider for a couple of hours on a sunny day last friday - absolute dogs bits. You get 2 types of looks - one where folks have a good look, and the other where they see the car then pretend they haven't !! Attracted a good crowd outside when parked up at the bank, and also got let out at junctions, which doesn't happen much in my M5.

I've got a photo of his car in my phone but have no idea at all how to post it !

[/ QUOTE ]

Open the picture and "Send as MMS" then you should be able to change the text from number to letters like you do in a text message, then send it to your email address 169144-ok.gif

(PS I only learned that one last week)

lots of positive comments - mostly women saying how cute it looks smile.gif

http://www.auto-journals.com/s2/content/brabussmart1.html

have had a few instances crawling through city traffic though, mostly jealous people overheating in white vans while you are soaking up some rays. Did have some toe-rag kids start picking flowers from the side of the road and throwing them in last week, ran off as soon as i opened the door though.

When I ordered a brand new 911 Cab, I have to say I expected to be pretty well the most hated car on the road for miles around. I ordered it despite that because, basically, the car was fantastic, it outclassed everything else on the shortlist, and I didn't care what anyone else thought.

After two and a bit years, I've never had a bad experience (touch wood!). If anything, I get let out at junctions more than I used to, and I get nothing but smiles when people look. The only comments (that I've heard wink.gif ... the engine note can be noisy!) have all been positive.

My old boss bought a brand new red Merc SL280 ( this was 1986 ) First day he is in London posing with the roof down when a pigeon craps on his head, he swerves into the back of a bus. Goes home to get the insurance papers, on the way home on the M25 all of his papers are sucked out of the car never to be seen again. Bad day. He gave it to his gf after that.

When I had my Boxster I always remembered him and that day. Glad to say only good things from me when driving that car. I really miss it, one day I will have another.

Very satisfying driving a convertible with the roof down knowing that it has been designed as a convertible and is not just a 2/4 door saloon with a bit chopped off. Some how feel superior to the other wannabees.