I'm mad as hell. B*stard old drivers

Booster

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When the majority drive cars that cost them pennies to keep on the road it could actually be quite pricey for them..

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif dude - all cars are expensive to own and run - you'll find that out yourself one day wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A Rover 100 is cheap compared to a Porsche though "innit" wink.gif

It's still £40 extra for them to pay at the end of the day.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When the majority drive cars that cost them pennies to keep on the road it could actually be quite pricey for them..

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif dude - all cars are expensive to own and run - you'll find that out yourself one day wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A Rover 100 is cheap compared to a Porsche though "innit" wink.gif

It's still £40 extra for them to pay at the end of the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the price of less than a couple of tanks of petrol. Surely not that much to charge to make sure they're up to it?

I think another point that needs to be raised is that driving a car is a privilage and not a god given right to do until you die - everyone recognises and accepts that as you get old your ability to react and judge situations declines.

Spending the equivelent of a tank of fuel to prove you are still up to the job is a fair price in my book to make our roads safer 169144-ok.gif

My poor Grandad had an awful weekend. He went on a nice drive to Borders bookshop and accidentally got his foot stuck on the reverse pedal whilst in the car park.

Apparently he hit 'some knackered old Audi' and he is most confused as to why the owner was so upset!

[ QUOTE ]

My poor Grandad had an awful weekend. He went on a nice drive to Borders bookshop and accidentally got his foot stuck on the reverse pedal whilst in the car park.

Apparently he hit 'some knackered old Audi' and he is most confused as to why the owner was so upset!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh! EEK2.GIF Contraversial grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

There's only one problem which I can see which is the charge for this retest. It is likely to be steep and the elderly 'good drivers' may not be able to afford it and so, would have to stop driving as they cannot pay for the retest.

[/ QUOTE ]

confused.gif How much is a 'proper' driving test these days? If they can afford to own/fuel/tax and insure a car I'm sure £30-40 is within reach for the majority 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't need to be a "proper" test. You can tell in 5 mins whether someone is basically competent. The fact they've passed a test means you can assume they know how to go round a roundabout, all that needs testing is awareness and reactions. In fact could probably do it with simulated tests of some sort.

However, do you think people would complain if the test was a short period for example, 5 mins? If an elderly person was to retake a test for say 15mins, and pass and then later have an accident, wouldn't we again be complaining that the test wasn't long enough and complain as to the amount which can be tested in a short period of time.

[ QUOTE ]

If an elderly person was to retake a test for say 15mins, and pass and then later have an accident, wouldn't we again be complaining that the test wasn't long enough and complain as to the amount which can be tested in a short period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the standard driving test isn't long enough then considering how many teenagers crash after passing! ices_blah.gif

Ian

Update:

Got a call from the garage doing the repair today. Their paintless dent repair man was on site and they showed him the pics of my car and he said he couldn't promise anything but said he'd take a look at it. I took the car down there and five minutes (literally) work later its looking better already. He only used tools to work on it from the outside but he's having it again next week to strip out the interior to work on it from the back. They are now sure it won't need a new quarter panel but he's not guaranteeing it won't need some filler and a bit of paint (although hopefully not).

Pic shows the improvement:

834701-Xmas2005012%28Small%29.jpg

post-1138-137914361646_thumb.jpg

Be aware that even if the dent is fully removed using a PDR process it will be more than likely that the paint will have stretched causing the metallic / metal fleck particles of the paint to now be uneven in comparison to the rest of the paintwork. You may see a kind of bruising to the paintwork in the area the dent has affected. Ensure you check the paint under a variety of light sources before you accept the repair

[ QUOTE ]

Someone in our street has had a PDR job done on thier 206, at certain angles you can see where the impact took place quite clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the car silver or a metallic grey ? It really stands out on these colours.

Best way to see the effect that a dent has on paint is to bend an old credit or similar silver one if you have one and then look at the surface under a magnifying glass