Ibiza Cupra TDi 160

RossG

[ QUOTE ]

Crusoe who posts here from time to time had a 160 - i'll see if I can get him over to give his opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Chris (remember join in the watch thread on CL, seem to remember you had quite a few nice ones)

I got one of the first Ibiza cupra 160 TDIs when they first came out, (about 2 years ago i think). From a practicality view it was a decent size with usable rear seats and returned about 45mpg (the larger front intercooler and other changes on the 160 make it average 10mpg or so less than a tuned 130bhp version.) I had come from a s2000 so back to fwd and lots of torque which was great for my mostly comuting driving 20K or so miles a year. Performance was good in the mid range and initially impresses but it isn't a car you take out fora blast just for fun, it never sounds enthusiastic (some cars just egg you on to go faster others prefer to cruise in 6th and the ibiza has more of a cruising engine). After rwd the handling was safe and very chuckable which is instantly fun but on longer exposure there is nothing to master or experiment with. If you are used to hot hatches then it has good grip and is very safe on and over the limit and won't bite you like a 182 clio as lift off oversteer isn't going to be a normal driving style. To sum up it's decently quick (most measure 180bhp standard on rolling roads) less than 8sec to 60 if you can avoid the wheelspin and good overtaking thrust. Anyone can drive it quickly though the ride is on the harsh side and can make you back off a bit on rutted b roads. Mine had a couple of warrenty recalls and the brakes and tyres on the front were on their way out after 15k miles. Group 16 ins is quite high for a diesel hatch though you shoudl be able to get a new one for around £3k less than i paid when they came out.

I only kept it 10 month or so traded it for a vx220 just because it wasn't exciting to drive. I've now got a brabus smart roadster coupe that returns over 50mpg sounds great and keeps my rwd fun and would run rings round a ibiza tdi on anythng but a long straight.

If you want a slightly boreing drive with a harsh ride and front heavy posture but a safe practical hatch that's quick and quite ecconomical then the TDI 160 is good. You can easily get 160bhp form a 130tdi with a chip though and the ride and ecconomy would be better though you'd loose some ultimate grip and braking.

My sisters got an ibiza had it two years (early 54 plate) Car still solid no rattles etc, had to get a door mirror replaced as it wissled but everything else has been faultless. The dash hard plastic is the main let down for me. I also find it a hard car to judge distance in when parking but thats just me. Ride is hard though.

The mk1 leon TDI my dad has i found a quieter more refined car and i liked the interior much better than my mams Mk2 leon TDI(also a pig to park for me.) or my sisters Ibiza.

The ibiza TDI cupra is a bit ruff round the edges is prob the best way for me to sum it up imo, Coming from a mk4 R32 you prob will have no problem with the suspension/ride bias though.