DSG Kickdown

punas

SilverArrow > Just experiment with it - It's pretty bomb proof (avoid Neutral while in motion) and has built-in safeguards. Take your time to experiment at your own pace and you'll discover which of the many possible combinations suits you and the road conditions the best.

Enjoy 169144-ok.gif.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too soon to know if I can make the next Sussex meet (it's a fair distance for me) and it depends of course exactly when it is.

What do you mean by "gotta come and pick up them boots"? Are you being rude about my driving shoes? Aren't yours silver with wings and lightning arrow designs on them? grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder how DSG fairs in general on forums and in mags of car users as opposed to enthuiasts ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would probably do OK TBH. Most everyday drivers aren't a cynical bunch of petrol heads like us lot grin.gif but that said, most would probably treat it like a conventional auto and therefore moan about all the charactoristics that make it unique. I personally embrace everything about it, if it wants to change down in M mode to save it from stalling, then cool.

I've got 4000 miles on the DSG now and I have settled into a way of driving. Now 99% of the time I drive the car in M using the paddles, but I flick it accross to D if I join the back of a long queue. Also, I occassionally change from 1st to 2nd by nudging the stick forward if I am halfway round a roundabout and at which point the + paddle is somewhere near my knee!

Otherwise, don't see the point in D or especially S, I can do all that (high revs etc) with the paddles. To me, leaving the thing in D is a complete waste of the DSG, but each to their own!!!

The great thing about DSG is that you have so many options. It's also having so many optional combinations that creates a longer individual learning curve.

A possible tip for you, CMC: Try keeping your hands at 'quarter to three' by the paddles on roundabouts, even if you cross forearms - It gives you much more direct and efficient steering control. Something we learnt on the CarLimits course - Less turns to achieve full lock. Try it and see.

[ QUOTE ]

Otherwise, don't see the point in D or especially S, I can do all that (high revs etc) with the paddles. To me, leaving the thing in D is a complete waste of the DSG, but each to their own!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do quite a high mileage, approximately about 35,000 miles per year in lots of different cars, so at weekends if I go anyway with the 'bread knife' and 'bin lid', in the GTI, I can just stick it in D and drive it very easily. But if I want to go out early morning for a blast I will use the paddles and stick accordingly.

It is just perfect for my situation, as if I am tried from lots of city driving - stop/start, in a manual, during the week I can just drive it in Auto at the weekends -I love it. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Aren't yours silver with wings and lightning arrow designs on them? grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course ! ..... if they we red they wouldn't match the romper suit and helmet ! grin.gif

Back on topic .... perhaps I havent said I do use M quite alot and it is 'fun' it's just when you put it back in D to pootle I seem to ctah it on ther hop and look like a learner again to my cargo which i suppose I am yelrotflmao.gif