Shell V-Power...

RedRobin

[ QUOTE ]

V-Power is what Shell 98RON is branded as in Europe I think. Is it not broadly equivilent to Optimax, just with different branding?

[/ QUOTE ]

V-Power is 100RON. Optimax in not a brand over here, Germany. Super Benzin is only 95RON with Benzin graded even lower. Can't remember but its about that time for a visit to the garage for fuel so I'll get a correct breakdown. The cost of V-Power is £0.99p/ltr. Most of the retailers sell 100RON. I generally use jet coming in at £0.96p/ltr. Also there is a differnce that can be felt between 100RON 98RON and 95RON

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My local Shell has been closed for the last week (and for another week) while they lay new pipes/pumps.

I dont think the RON number has too much bearing on price. BP Super (97) is more expensive than optimax (98) in my local stations, and Tesco (99) is the cheapest of the three. I would think a slight increase over Optimax.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

V-Power is what Shell 98RON is branded as in Europe I think. Is it not broadly equivilent to Optimax, just with different branding?

[/ QUOTE ]

V-Power is 100RON. Optimax in not a brand over here, Germany. Super Benzin is only 95RON with Benzin graded even lower. Can't remember but its about that time for a visit to the garage for fuel so I'll get a correct breakdown. The cost of V-Power is £0.99p/ltr. Most of the retailers sell 100RON. I generally use jet coming in at £0.96p/ltr. Also there is a differnce that can be felt between 100RON 98RON and 95RON

[/ QUOTE ]

The V-Power that I found in Germany in July was definately 98RON, but apparently there is 100RON at certain stations, I just didn't find them.

[ QUOTE ]

The V-Power that I found in Germany in July was definately 98RON, but apparently there is 100RON at certain stations, I just didn't find them.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I may be wrong but I can't see Shell bothering to have extra pumps so that we have the choice of 98 or 100RON. It's Optimax out and V-Power in, but we just don't know the V-Power RON for the UK yet.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No apparently about it. I have been living here for the last 6 months and all stations that I have used have 100RON be it shell, jet, texaco etc. I have not found a pump with 98RON to date.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No apparently about it. I have been living here for the last 6 months and all stations that I have used have 100RON be it shell, jet, texaco etc. I have not found a pump with 98RON to date.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried your S4 with 98 RON? And how does it compare to 100 RON V Power? I just ask as it says on the filler cap 98 RON or 95 at worst, I just wondered what would happen with 100 RON? 169144-ok.gif

I doubt anything will happen. The engine management will have an upper RON tolerance and anything above that will not be used in the combustion process. You might get some problems on the valves or cylinder seals with heat problems but I would say that is unlikely on a higher performance engine.

[ QUOTE ]

I bet it is 98 and this is just a rebranding to save them money across Europe. It will be just like Marathon->Snickers and Opal Fruits->Starburst. Nothing changes except the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

And another pence or two a litre to cover the rebranding cost.

I'm even more of a cynic.

I'd put money on this being no more than a Marketing exercise, one that aligns the brand across Europe.

A friend of mine said that the guy at his local Shell garage told him that he had just put V Power in his tank (Shell are apparently delivering V Power now, ready for the launch), but not to get too excited because it was basically the same as Optimax.

I don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't be surprised.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried your S4 with 98 RON? And how does it compare to 100 RON V Power? I just ask as it says on the filler cap 98 RON or 95 at worst, I just wondered what would happen with 100 RON? 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Before moving here, 6 months now, I was filling the car with Optimax. There is, IMO, a noticeable difference in performance between the two fuels, a point I have stated on this thread already.

IMO there is no harm to the engine by running on 100RON. I have been doing so since moving here and no problems whatsoever to date. A british registered S4, as is mine, is exactly the same vehicle as a german registered one, except for the steering wheel being on the wrong side. Therefore, running a vehicle on 100RON is not a problem.

V power is around 8% more expensive than Bp98ron. I don't feel any difference at all.

I've just had 6338 done on my car and that smoothed it out, but the V-power just seems to eat my wallet.

Think I will be back to 98 ron and see how it runs. Petrol is fairly cheap here but V-power is just a bit o.t.t for my liking....

[ QUOTE ]

V power is around 8% more expensive than Bp98ron. I don't feel any difference at all.

I've just had 6338 done on my car and that smoothed it out, but the V-power just seems to eat my wallet.

Think I will be back to 98 ron and see how it runs. Petrol is fairly cheap here but V-power is just a bit o.t.t for my liking....

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you pay per litre for V-Power. Here it's currently €1,46. I have found my economy to be slightly better on 100RON, any increase will do me. I predominantly tend to use Jet 100RON @ €1,43

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you pay per litre for V-Power. Here it's currently €1,46. I have found my economy to be slightly better on 100RON, any increase will do me. I predominantly tend to use Jet 100RON @ €1,43

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay 1.19Euro = 1.89chf BP 98Ron is 1.12Euro = 1.78chf

After 1/2 hour of maths thats around 6% more I think?

It's cheap in comparison I know, but when you have payed under these prices for 5 years (prices are rising all the time) then 1.89 seems a bit crazy.

It's also hard to tell how my car runs and how the economy is as I have a stop start journey of 3km to work at 50km/hr.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay 1.19Euro = 1.89chf BP 98Ron is 1.12Euro = 1.78chf

After 1/2 hour of maths thats around 6% more I think?

It's cheap in comparison I know, but when you have payed under these prices for 5 years (prices are rising all the time) then 1.89 seems a bit crazy.

It's also hard to tell how my car runs and how the economy is as I have a stop start journey of 3km to work at 50km/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Filled up yesterday at €1,38 per litre. The price does tend to fluctuate from week to week. 5% in the last week EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Try Tesco 99 RON, I do ron ron ron, I do ron ron - it's a gas... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe grin.gif

I use Tesco 99 all the time now as I don't have a Shell or BP garage that close to me. I like it, seems to increase economy slightly, although I wouldn't like to say if there's any increase in performance. Cost for me is 98.9 p/litre, so it's cheaper than the alternatives.

I would be interested in V-power tho, a 100RON fuel would be nice, although I do wonder if I'd be able to tell any increase in performance.

just had this mail from a mate

"The information packs have now arrived and it says,

V-Power is designed to provide higher levels of performance and responsiveness.

V-Power is 99 RON

Uses Friction Modification Technology - the same used by Ferrari F1

Increased levels of detergents for even cleaner engines.

It is not a simply name change, V-Power has been developed to provide higher levels of performance and enhancements in responsiveness to give drivers a better driving experience. Shell works closely with Ferrari F1 to create better fuels for the road.

Over the next few weeks, V-Power key-rings will be delivered to site to give to every customer buying V-Power.

Sites should received a promo pack with posters etc, for site staff to install. Contractors will visit sites over the next 4 weeks to install bigger adverts like banners and polesign inserts".