Shell V-Power...

RedRobin

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe that this is much more than a rebranding exercise by Shell to bring us into line with the rest of Europe, to reduce costs and standardise advertising.

Isn't Optimax actually anywhere between 97-99 RON but marketed as 97? And surely it will have been continuously developed since it was launched however many years ago?

If that's correct, they can simply rebrand as V-Power at 99RON and still be withing advertising regulations.

As for petrol stations selling Optimax last week and V-Power this week, surely the tanks would have to have been drained/cleaned etc etc otherwise you would be getting a mixture of the two fuels.

I remain highly sceptical that this isn't just Shell being a little economical with the truth whilst maximising their profits by increasing the price of an existin product.

Right, I filled up today with V-power and I have some views;

Priced at 102.9, regular unleaded was 96.9, so 6p/l extra. If I'm being honest throttle response was perhaps a little better (placebo affect anyone?), but I'd say power was not noticeably different.

Speaking to the bloke in the station he said it was only released today anyway, plus there was a big launch at Snetterton for it yesterday. I can't comment on fuel economy as I don't think driving round Snetterton was a fair test 169144-ok.gif

Pincher> The tanks may not need to be drained, just put down to near empty. You wouldn't believe the amount of shite in the bottom of a tank anyway. Besides, not sure what size tanks petrol stations use, but the tankers are sized between 30-40k litres, so even a few thousand litres left in the tank will not alter the make up of the new fuel 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong - I'll definitely be using it as the Blue Devil (TM TP27 smile.gif ) only ever gets fed Optimax. I'm just a bit of a sceptic when it comes to corporate marketing blurbs 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, so am I grin.gif

I think this is different enough to warrant the 1p/l increase though and even if it's not I make louder brum-brum noises when I'm driving with it jump.gif

I didn't read thru all 11 previous pages, so forgive me if this has been covered, but seeing as I got my V-Power card today I read the blurb that came with it and it says that...

V-Power - 99RON

Optimax was actually 98.6RON

So, in effect you gained.... well i don't need to tell you but its not really going to be noticeable is it!!

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I need me one of those V-Power cards

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you get one of those, i sent off for a plus points card thingy with shell but never got anything back confused.gif

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My flyer is in my car, but iirc, you need to get a standard points card and then buy at least 150 lts of V-Power and 150 litres of another fuel (I guess 300 litres of V-Power would be fine tho) in a pre-marked qtr. You then get a nice V-Power card.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I need me one of those V-Power cards

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you get one of those, i sent off for a plus points card thingy with shell but never got anything back confused.gif

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My flyer is in my car, but iirc, you need to get a standard points card and then buy at least 150 lts of V-Power and 150 litres of another fuel (I guess 300 litres of V-Power would be fine tho) in a pre-marked qtr. You then get a nice V-Power card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was an avid Optimax user and had an Optimax card. I have used Optimax since Jan, but they sent me a V-Power card anyway. they also noted that I've been using disel and not Optimax as of late but was still able to join the V-Power promotion as it doesn't matter what fuel I buy.

Anyone want a scan of the promo leaflet let me know!

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

So do i need to send off for another standard points card as this is what i sent off for originally but got nothing back...

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, I had the std card and they upgraded me automatically to Optimax card, and the same again with V-Power even tho they know I use diesel !!

smile.gif