APS R300 Package

hixster

[ QUOTE ]

To those who like the oem exhaust but wnat slightly more noise wny not just pull (or crimp) the tube off the flapper valve to stop it closing? I have not done this yet but am considering it.

[/ QUOTE ]

u only get more noise at lower rpms, ok for annoying the neighbors, but no good for when your tanking it...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

To those who like the oem exhaust but wnat slightly more noise wny not just pull (or crimp) the tube off the flapper valve to stop it closing? I have not done this yet but am considering it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Flap is opened in 3rd+ gear above 3,000RPM. This mod wont make the exhaust any louder under hard acceleration 169144-ok.gif

Here's the reply I got from APS regarding DSG, it's looking promising

8< -------------

Currently we are finalising the software upgrade for the DSG version of the MKV R32. In order for the Schrick camshafts to give there maximum potential the engine rpm limit requires resetting to 7200rpm. Currently we are working on a software file to achieve this for the DSG. Although the torque is not an issue for the DSG version, the software does require the appropriate changes to be made.

If after the conversion was done you did want to put the car back to standard, the labour charge is approximately £420+VAT.

8< -------------

[ QUOTE ]

calling MrkGTI .........

I've been in the APS car round Castle Combe, driven very tidily by Ed. The car feels very strong right the way up, just more of the same and very linear delivery. The KW V3 kit is almost mandatory with this upgrade IMHO.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will hopefully be at Windsor meet, do you still meet in the park first?

[ QUOTE ]

Will hopefully be at Windsor meet, do you still meet in the park first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes mate in the park first, but unforunately i won't be attending now, just waiting for VW to fit another engine to my .:R ROLLEY~14.GIF hopefully see you there another time mark 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've been in the APS car round Castle Combe, driven very tidily by Ed. The car feels very strong right the way up, just more of the same and very linear delivery. The KW V3 kit is almost mandatory with this upgrade IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Mook-mobile was quicker - yet more proof that the Mk4 R32 is quicker than the Mk5... tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

But the Mook-mobile was quicker

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly was and given that you started near the back of the line and we must have had nearly a lap on you, then whack out of nowhere the mook mobile goes flying past smile.gif we were just cruising checking out the sights ya see grin.gif169144-ok.gif

not quite a fair comparison Mook - the car Jimmy was in didn't have the cams done at the time smirk.gif

but I would repeat my thoughts on your car - very tidy handling and body control and it certainly was shifting - although I hear you couldn't get past Ray West's car tongue.gifgrin.gif

Yeah, yeah ROLLEY~14.GIF Mk4's quicker than Mk5, you know. Don't try to deny it, now. Come on... tongue.gif

West's car? That's only coz the cheeky fecker refused to move, so I ended up having to outbrake whoever was driving it into the Esses and then buggered off.

Bit of a tut-tut from the marshalls... ROLLEY~14.GIF

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Back on the original topic, I'm booked in for the 29th of September to have the final stage carried out and allow my car to become an APS R300.

Am I the only one whose done this so far, or are there others on the board?

I'll let you know how it drives once done 169144-ok.gif

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to have a go in the APS 300 Mk5 and see how it feels. Anyone know if it has the Milltek downpipe/headers? good luck with your install wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Back on the original topic, I'm booked in for the 29th of September to have the final stage carried out and allow my car to become an APS R300.

Am I the only one whose done this so far, or are there others on the board?

[/ QUOTE ]

The APS300 upgrade is pretty much the same as the AmD Stage 4 upgrade, Schrick cams plus Milltek, although it's not clear from www.autops.co.uk/news.php whether the APS300 includes the hi-flow sports cats. The main different between the two is the "high flow air box filter" and the revised exhaust cam for the Mk5 engine.

Either way, it should be a lot of fun, based on the experiences I've had with my AmD ST4 upgrade plus a couple of other tweaks 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone know if it has the Milltek downpipe/headers?

[/ QUOTE ]

no it does not (yet) - Milltek are just starting to ship the manifolds etc now.

I am helping APS/Milltek test the cats & manifolds while they test the cams & remaps in their car - then they will combine the 2 into some form of evil beast FIREdevil.gif

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone know if it has the Milltek downpipe/headers?

[/ QUOTE ]

no it does not (yet) - Milltek are just starting to ship the manifolds etc now.

I am helping APS/Milltek test the cats & manifolds while they test the cams & remaps in their car - then they will combine the 2 into some form of evil beast FIREdevil.gif

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers RS32, may have to wait till that's combined then.... I did look into the Supersprint manifold and downpipe but was an expensive option for a small gain. Would the Milltek manifold fit the Mk4? (may be a silly question) 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Would the Milltek manifold fit the Mk4?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a point of asking this question when the Milltek product development team showed me round their factory - the answer is no unfortunately.

However they did hint that they may be developing one as a new option - as the MkIV market could open up again for them.

Am keeping in touch with the Milltek team as we continue testing so will ask the question again in a few weeks time 169144-ok.gif

The APS R300 package involves cracking the engine open and replacing camshafts with Shrick (non-VW OEM) parts so would say it does have warranty implications.

It's not a cheap job and will take a few days, but it will transform the character of the engine.

However this is not a new modification - the cams are just a slightly different spec to the MkIV engine upgrade previously offered.

MkV owners are definitely benefiting from the fact that most of our tuning options were developed for the MkIV, then tweaked for the MkV - so there is plenty of development and testing time backing things up.

My plan is to go a slightly different route and see what is possible with a stock engine, ECU tweaks and the full milltke system. This package will not be as hard-hitting as the one with better cams, but it does offer a route for thise like me who don't want a 6 month old car with modified engine internals. I'm also keeping the stock rev limiter until I'm completely sure things are safe.

When I hit say 50/60k miles I can then look at the cams & a 7200+ rpm rev limit - giving me a further upgrade path against a loose engine with fully run-in and trusted Milltek goodies grin.gif

I have no doubt that the cams option is a safe one now - but it's down to personal choice for me that I'm not currently looking at them.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

can the whole process be done in one day or how long does it take? is there only one place does it and would it affect the warrenty?? or what other options is there out there for more power? i just dont think the standard 250 will keep me goin for long!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go for the cams.... from my point of view it's 100% safe, I think the Mk4 should have come like this in the first place and i'm sure the MkV will be the same. Provided they are fitted properly you won't have a problem. Do it!!!! 169144-ok.gif

It's only my opinion, but I think that rs32 is a very wise man. It's not a question of whether engine internal mods risk damage etc but simply a question of warranty. To be fair it's not reasonable to expect VW to behave any other way regarding their responsibilities.

For what it's worth, I've had a fair amount of conversation with my VW dealer and VW UK about modding my Mk5 GTI and whereas exhaust, CAI (which don't replace the engine cover), and brakes, are totally acceptable, engine internals would not be acceptable regarding a warranty claim. If someone can afford it regardless of warranty then it's obviously not a problem.

[ QUOTE ]

It's only my opinion, but I think that rs32 is a very wise man. It's not a question of whether engine internal mods risk damage etc but simply a question of warranty. To be fair it's not reasonable to expect VW to behave any other way regarding their responsibilities.

For what it's worth, I've had a fair amount of conversation with my VW dealer and VW UK about modding my Mk5 GTI and whereas exhaust, CAI (which don't replace the engine cover), and brakes, are totally acceptable, engine internals would not be acceptable regarding a warranty claim. If someone can afford it regardless of warranty then it's obviously not a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point Red.... bike.thumb.gif

169144-ok.gif Just posting again to make sure peeps understand that I'm not against such extensive mods - Workshops such as APS know absolutely what they are doing and APS in particular appear to be excellent. I'm just flagging that some people might want to consider the VW warranty implications. Obviously APS's products will have their own independent warranty but not all VW dealers are as understanding and reasonable as mine are!

169144-ok.gif Cheers beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

can the whole process be done in one day or how long does it take?

[/ QUOTE ]

I left my Mk4 R32 with AmD for a week for the ST4 upgrade.

[ QUOTE ]

is there only one place does it and would it affect the warrenty??

[/ QUOTE ]

www.amdtechnik.com

Your engine warranty will be invalidated if you replace the cams.

[ QUOTE ]

or what other options is there out there for more power? i just dont think the standard 250 will keep me goin for long!

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick a VF supercharger on it (which will still invalidate your warranty). The S/C upgrade for the Mk5 isn't ready for the UK yet - AmD are again the people to talk to about this.

S/C upgrade should produce around 330bhp with a Milltek cat back. Spend more and stick cams in and a few extras and you'll push 370+ bhp, as Helfinger has proved with his supercharged monster Mk4 R32.

Don't forget that "Total power achieved is directly relational to the size of your wallet..." 169144-ok.gif