Scary vid on security

jims4

[ QUOTE ]

It's like the scam with ACU Gold 'approved' helmets - not all they're cracked (!) up to be either!

[/ QUOTE ]

O/T but I was browsing in a bike gear shop recently and I left my Arai RX7 helmet at the cash desk so that I had my hands free to try stuff on, the assistant told me that my Helmet was 'illegal' because it has the old BS standard not the newer EU standard and that I could be fined £80 for using it! (also fitted with Dark Visor - so another potential fine ROLLEY~14.GIF )

He said that I 'need' to change it for a newer EU rated lid - Now Gold ACU rated lids with EU approval can be bought for as little as £50 - £60, so I asked him which he would rather be wearing in a big crash; a new £50 EU approved lid or my (still good) at the time top-of-the-range Arai.

I'm still using the Arai and will until I feel the need to change it, I'm sure that they were trying it on and that the old BS approval is still road legal, (anyone know for sure?), but I really don't care either way and will wear what I think gives me best protection.

beerchug.gif

I have seen the Vid on Visordown, the problem with the Almax is portability..... great for the garage and ground anchor but you try and take the 19mm chain and lock on the back of the bike to work !!!!! Not really practical to be taking it out of the ground anchor every day(as it is a really tight fit), and i do not want to be buying two sets of chain and lock, one for home and one for on the move.... it's all about compromise and what type of bike you have and where you park it.

[ QUOTE ]

I am sure they are legal. When I did my CBT though a few years ago, they told me that I would have to not wear my Shoei from the US - as it wasn't ACU approved Gold - yet it is a higher standard - it's a con really...

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as i know ACU approval is only required for race meets and track days. For use on u.k roads they only have to have the european approval. confused.gif

We have these very bolt croppers at work.

Made by Record, weigh in at just over 10 Kilo and are about 4ft long.

for the record( no pun intended) the jaws are rated to cut upto 15.9mm max, its stamped on the cross plate that they bent in the video.

Either way, these are not something the opportunist theif is going to have in a rucksack. They are serious croppers.

The person that will have these croppers will be the serious thief. He'll arrive with his m8 by van. If he gets offbeat_bobby05.gif enroute, he has a van fulla tools so nowt will be done (even if he has form for the same), and he'll only get done for handling if he's caught with the bike in the van, as there's no evidence that he stole it! blush.gif

169144-ok.gif

Ps, boy, I've been waiting to use that plod gif forever! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

offbeat_bobby05.gif

Ps, boy, I've been waiting to use that plod gif forever! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Top! yelrotflmao.gif

I knew what you meant dude! 169144-ok.gifgrin.gif

The worst bike theft story I've heard recently was from a FOAF who I met a couple of times in the summer. He’s got a Gixer 1000 K6, but had a K5.......

He used to leave it outside the front of his work on the pavement disc locked, alarmed but not chained to anything fixed.

White van pulls up. 4 large gentlemen get out, open van doors. A large mattress get pulled out of the van. Gixer gets pushed over onto mattress. The gents grab a corner each and lift the lot into the van.......... GONE!

A colleague spotted them half way through but by the time he’d run down stairs they and the Gixer had gone.....

Nasty! frown.gif

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

I'm still using the Arai and will until I feel the need to change it, I'm sure that they were trying it on and that the old BS approval is still road legal, (anyone know for sure?), but I really don't care either way and will wear what I think gives me best protection.

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry this is a bit late, but I can answer the above question. BS marked helmets are still legal. There would be no need to change your helmet (subject to the usual reasonable advice that they are changed after about 5 years - even then it would still be legal). They were trying it on! sekret.gif