Getting started

pingpongpo

Hi guys/gals,

I have been meaning to sort out taking my bike test for the last 13 years now and have never got around to it for one reason or another, however I feel that this year is the year for doing it!!

Can anyone recommend any decent websites where I can find out exactly what is involved in getting a pass or even guide me through it on here?

I realise that there is some sort of theory test but what is involved after this and how many tests are there before you can ride whatever you want?

I am 30yrs old so I think I am above the age restriction stuff.

Many thanks.

Hi Simon. Easiset way if you are over 21 and hold a full car licence is to do a Direct Access Course (DAS).

First step, like you said, is to do the theory exam which is multiple guess and I think you can do practice ones on the web somewhere. Just take a gander through the highway code to freshen up a bit and you'll be fine. It is mostly commen sense if you have been driving for a while.

Then the course itself lasts four or five days. day one will be on a 125cc geared bike and you will spend the morning in an enclosed, tarmac off road area learning about clutch control, changing gears and gernerally controlling the bike. In the afternoon you'll go out on the road for an hour ot two. Et voila, you have your CBT (compulsory Basic Test) certificate and the first part is done.

The next day you will spend the morning back off road doing the same thing as previously but on a 500cc bike. You'll get out on the road in the afternoon. The next day or two will be spent out on the road on the 500cc and also learning the manouvers you'll need for your test - u-turn, emergency stop, putting the bike on the stand (really!), etc.

On the final day (four or five depending on where you do it) you'll spend some time out on the road again and then go straight into your test at whatever time it is booked. Just like a car test you get a DVLA instructor who guides you round.

Hope that helps and good luck 169144-ok.gif

Make sure you do it soon though as the DAS laws may be changing in the next few years meaning you'll be restricted to what machine you can ride for a few years regardless of whether you have a car licence or not.

if your interested in doing the direct access as detailed by busby007, i would recommend West Pennine MOtorcycle Training - they do 5 day direct access training which includes CBT, bike and equipment hire and the test fee AND accomodation in a local B&B for £550, which i believe is very cheap - the instructors are very good but the bikes have had a hard life, but then i suppose all instructor bikes have. west pennine

Thanks for the answers. I have researched a little and managed to get myself on a CBT course for the 7th April at the latest. The instructor said he may be able to do one earlier depending on whether he can get someone else to be up for it on a Sunday.

I've booked my theory test up for the 14th April and tried out a mock one this lunch and got 33 out of 35!

I used the 2006 version of this

Clickey

and I flew through my theory tests with great scores, the version I bought was brilliant

I was also late starting (24 when I passed my test) and found it great when building on the 'road sense' (I use the term loosely) when learning the ropes again cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I used the 2006 version of this

Clickey

and I flew through my theory tests with great scores, the version I bought was brilliant

I was also late starting (24 when I passed my test) and found it great when building on the 'road sense' (I use the term loosely) when learning the ropes again cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Late starting at 24 !!!! Try 43 !!! Only passed in Jan grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Late starting at 24 !!!! Try 43 !!! Only passed in Jan grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The opposite for me, when I took my test there was a bloke in front of me waving a red flag. blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like in the file ''The Great Race'' with Tony Curtis, set in circa 1912 jump.gif

• 3 weeks later...