East of England - Rutland Water Meet - 20th May

harddrive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fair enough. Fingers crossed you can make it. If you can and want to drive up together - either in Pug or Audi - you have my number.

If going alone in the Pug, I would probably avoid the Northamptonshire dual carriageways, instead taking a scenic route. Maybe even something as crazy as B660 to Kimbolton, B645 to Raunds, A45 to Thrapston, A605 to Oundle, A427 to Weldon (Corby), A43 to Duddington, backroads to Rutland.

Would need to look up a Shell garage though: I'd only be getting 25 mpg on roads like that on a Sunday morning if dry!

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

If going alone in the Pug, I would probably avoid the Northamptonshire dual carriageways, instead taking a scenic route. Maybe even something as crazy as B660 to Kimbolton, B645 to Raunds, A45 to Thrapston, A605 to Oundle, A427 to Weldon (Corby), A43 to Duddington, backroads to Rutland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine selection of roads there! Did some of those a couple of weeks back in the VX - lovely. Had sun stroke by the time I got back. What time is this all meant to be occurring? Can't seem to find any timings in the thread.

[ QUOTE ]

Fine selection of roads there! Did some of those a couple of weeks back in the VX - lovely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you rember your route? Cannot remember the A427. Would really like to drive via Oundle for nostagia - haven't been there since I played them at Hockey whilst at Bedford.

Time wise, shall we aim for 12 noon? That would allow us to all meet up, chat, look at cars, take some photos and still get inside the pub before it gets too busy.

Ian

No idea of the route I followed. It was a totally random drive. Started off with a trip out to a country pub (The Plough at Bolnhurst - yum yum) for lunch. Then I thought "Kimbolton; haven't been there for years", then straight out the otherside and on and on past Raunds, Thrapston etc. Turned back at Oundle. Turned into a 100 mile drive by the time we got back. shocked.gif

Nearest Shell station I can find vaguely close to the back roads route out there is in Thrapston. Couple on the A1 for the way back if needed (one at Wittering which isn't too far). Fill her up before you go and you'll be fine, it's only 50 miles'ish each way!

Really sorry guys but unfortunately I will not be able to attend this now.

I am currently going through a divorce and have too much to sort out this weekend not to mention the fact i need to save my money. frown.gif

Hope it goes well and look forward to the next.

[ QUOTE ]

No idea of the route I followed. It was a totally random drive. Started off with a trip out to a country pub (The Plough at Bolnhurst - yum yum) for lunch. Then I thought "Kimbolton; haven't been there for years", then straight out the otherside and on and on past Raunds, Thrapston etc. Turned back at Oundle. Turned into a 100 mile drive by the time we got back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spooky - exactly the same route I was planning, just as you hinted at earlier. Great minds! smirk.gif

The B660 to Ramsey via Kimbolton is wondeful. More recently I've quit at 'Holme' though, for you enter the fens and things get bumpy! Level crossing on the exit of the village has a nice pub car park on the left to spin round in.

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

I am currently going through a divorce and have too much to sort out this weekend not to mention the fact i need to save my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst appreciate you need fuel to get there, if you are skint but can escape for some heart-warming car indulgence, may I offer to buy you a steak and a pint? Would be gutted if we lost our host! Offer remains open right until the day. Take it easy,

Ian