R8 Launch Event at Camberley Audi

PetrolDave

Went along to this yesterday (Thursday 14 June) evening.

They had 2 R8s - silver (manual) and black (R-tronic). Strangely both did not have the contrasting colour section behind the doors. Was able to sit in the black one and the silver one was started up for us.

Loved the LED sidelights along the bottom edge of the headlights - very cool.

Forgot my camera but did grab a photo on my phone which I'll try to upload later.

63 people invited, usually for events like this about 1/3 turn up but this time the majority came.

They also had a blue LHD A5 (30.TDi) - same LED sidelights. Only managed to get a photo with the bonnet open.

Nearly forgot - plenty of champagne, orange juice and canapes.

Well done to all - an enjoyable evening, which resulted in at least one order that I heard about (for 2009 delivery!).

One unanswered question - what is the purpose of the light pipe in the headlights with the R8 logo that ends in front of the indicator bulb?

[ QUOTE ]

One unanswered question - what is the purpose of the light pipe in the headlights with the R8 logo that ends in front of the indicator bulb?

[/ QUOTE ]

The logo is purely fine detailing, it does nothing but look very very cool.

[ QUOTE ]

I was looking at the silver A8 in the Audi place opposite Green Park the other day - not a colour that the R8 suits in any way. Daytona looks great but silver....no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, just goes to show that colour is a very subjective thing. If I were in the fortunate position of being able to order a new R8 (something I'm not, and probably never likely to be) I wouldn't hesitate to spec it in silver - the colour used for nearly all the cars shown in the various launch and publicity media! wink.gifgrin.gif

I know it's common etc. but IMO it suits the car's lines perfectly, as it does most if not all Audis it has to be said. There was a silver one at the Brands Hatch DTM event last week and I just stood there transfixed by it, it was so beautiful. Obviously there are plenty of stunning colour combinations to choose from for this car, but ultimately silver edges it every time for me. 169144-ok.gif

4846945_25.jpg

For me IMHO silver is way too common now for audi. although it does look good... there are many colours avaliable that really really bring the R8 to life. For me it would have to be phantom black with carbon sideblades... it looks fantastic!!!!!! a true beast, esp when the led side lights are on.... wow.

I cant seem to upload a photo i took of one? any help?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Like so:-

1178944-r8.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the baby!!! the R8 in this colour choice is definatly for me.... great picture! oh mind you i have lots of pics of ibis white with carbon, and it too looks amazing!

how do i post pics?

[ QUOTE ]

Very nice, but it's just a little too black for my tastes; it needs slightly lighter sideblades IMO to lighten it up a bit. I much prefer THIS [/scratched record]:

1179012-DSCN4369%28Medium%29.JPG

smlove2.gifsmlove2.gifsmlove2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what it looked like - not impressed. Personal as you say.