To AVS or not AVS, that is the question....

nordberg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeezus wept. What a load of old tosh.

Just got off the phone from the service manager at my stealers. They have quoted £257 inclusive. When I said I wanted to change over to fixed servicing, he said it can be done but wouldn't make any difference to the price on this occasion but that the next service would be £115 as opposed to £290. When I queried this, I was told that's just how it is. When I asked what I am actually getting different on the £290 service, he tells me it's the oil! Then goes on to explain how the AVS sensors in the engine detect that the car needs servicing based on the colour of the oil!! Hillarious.

So.......what to do I have no idea.....

I paid £169 for my 1st AVS from Stoke Audi. Even after adding the cost of getting there and the money we spent on our 'day out' it was cheaper than my local dealers (Liverpool).

I'll probably stick to AVS during my 3 yr warranty period and consider switching to annual servicing after that, but do it myself.

I phoned the dealers today and they told me for a fixed service they use different oil which is a lot cheaper in price than the AVS oil. That is why the fixed service is cheaper. But they did say they still use a fully synthetic oil for the fixed service,I did not catch the name of the oil properly it was something like sythegold.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The 2.0T unit doesn't seem to get anywhere near its full AVS mileage. I got just under 11k on mine and switched it straight to fixed intervals.

[/ QUOTE ]

coffee.gif

Lol, you're not kidding, mine was wingeing for a service a 8700 miles ROLLEY~14.GIFEEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god. smashfreakB.gifEEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF I had almost 17K on the S4, and it was still saying about 1500miles before it's first service. Even the RS4 will get around 14k miles before it first service. grin.gif

I use my 2.0T for work doing mainly short stop and start journeys during the day, but when I went to lightwater valley the other week from Newcastle, I checked the service counter the next day and it had added 500 miles and so many days onto the next service.

This proves that the way you drive does alter AVS mileage and day counters.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RichA

Please can someone clarify:

What driving style suits AVS?

And, What driving style suits fixed?

I do bits and bobs city driving in the week. At weekends I might go out of town on longer motorway journeys. Annual mileage approx 10,000. I think I am on AVS (?).

My service is due in 500miles/23 days and I'd like to know whether I should ask to be on AVS or fixed...

Many thanks.

The clever thing about AVS is that the car will tell you when it needs a service. There are sensors that measure the electrical conductivity of the oil. When the threshold is reached, they tell the ECU and bingo, "YOU NEED A SERVICE SOON" pops up.

Personally, I don't like AVS - I just don't think a car should go more than 10K miles without an oil and filter change and one of the main problems is that people rely on the AVS interval to defer having the car checked over. AVS is a marketing tool - i.e. reduce your overall servicing costs - all Audis are on AVS by default, so yours probably is.

I've always used the same AVS oil (Castrl SLX3 in my R32), despite switching to fixed interval as soon as I got the car.

HTH

beerchug.gif